Public Safety Reporter
Public Safety Reporter
IndyStar is looking for a dynamic reporter to lead compelling and important coverage of local and statewide public safety issues. As a major metro and capital city, Indianapolis provides tremendous opportunities for an ambitious reporter. Expect to work closely with the other members of the breaking news and public safety team to identify trend, enterprise and watchdog coverage. Beat discipline and organizational skills are essential in order to balance the need for depth and enterprise with the need to remain competitive on major crime and public safety events. Sophisticated and urgent content is expected across mobile, desktop, social and print.
Points of focus include:
- Examining crime-fighting strategies and the performance of law enforcement agencies from a watchdog perspective.
- Providing impactful journalism on public safety trends and topics, with an emphasis on coverage that gives a voice to the voiceless and holds those in power accountable.
- Identifying and elevating stories of importance involving crime and violence, such as features on victims and profiles on neighborhoods.
- Producing enterprise, including issue, trend and watchdog stories, by parsing public records and documents, using data and cultivating sources.
- Breaking news quickly and accurately, using the suite of digital tools at your disposal to tell the most effective story to a wide audience.
You may be the right candidate for this job if you have a passion for telling stories, an eagerness to serve your audience in innovative ways across platforms, a hunger for breaking news, and a desire to learn from a talented group of coaches/editors and reporters in a collaborative culture.
You should be a self-starter comfortable working in multiple types of media: reporting and writing stories; shooting photos and videos with an iPhone; and using social media to build a personal brand, identify stories and serve an audience. You should be nimble and able to tailor your approach to stories to satisfy audiences viewing your work in print or on a desktop browser, mobile device or tablet.
We want an ambitious reporter to produce meaningful journalism that takes time, research and effort to develop. Recent IndyStar examples include an analysis highlighting diversity issues at the Indianapolis police department and a two-part series showing a growing gap between the solve rate for white and black homicide victims in Indianapolis.
But we also want you to cover the news, efficiently and concisely, and break stories before anyone else. As a member of the public safety team, you will be expected to lead important and urgent stories off of your beat every day. So you need to be comfortable and effective at juggling multiple assignments.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience
- At least 3 years of applicable experience as a reporter/writer
- Ability to shoot and edit photos and videos with an iPhone
- Proficiency on social media, including Facebook, Periscope and Twitter
- Good time management and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Curiosity and a desire to try new things
- What we offer: As a part of Gannett Co., Inc., we offer a dynamic, community-focused environment where individuals are rewarded for exceptional performance. We offer competitive salaries and benefits, including health care, dental and vision coverage, flexible spending account, 401(k), pto-paid time off, tuition reimbursement. Pre-employment drug testing and background screening are required.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
“Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a next-generation media company committed to strengthening communities across our network. Through trusted, compelling content and unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of nearly 100 million people monthly. With more than 110 markets internationally, it is known for Pulitzer Prize-winning newsrooms, powerhouse brands such as USA TODAY and specialized media properties. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.”
Back to top