The Product Handler provides general support for the circulation department by handling many of the department’s day to day operational needs on the loading dock or at distribution centers. This position is responsible for a variety of tasks and responsibilities within home delivery, single copy and non-daily distribution areas. The Product Handler job duties can entail but are not limited to: preparing paper work, distribution center coverage, distributing daily and non-daily products to independent contractors, loading or unloading trucks and general up-keep of the dock area and distribution center. This individual will conduct themselves in accordance with company policies and procedures; ensure quality customer service, maintain a safe work environment and use sound judgment and discretion at all times.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Responsible for distribution and handling of daily and non-daily products to carriers and haulers. . This position may also assist with delivering down routes for home delivery and single copy, running shortages, delivering missed newspapers, retailer merchandising checks, etc. as well as disseminating information to circulation management regarding any carrier or product issues for the day.
- Load and unload trucks containing various print publications in bundles, carts and pallets.
- Open the distribution center and prepare the DC for independent contractor arrival by printing, preparing and distributing specified reports and paperwork such as carrier bundle tops, vacation packs, and carrier supplies.
- Utilize computer systems such as Genesys and RouteSmart.
- Must be able to maintain accuracy while setting up carts and moving print products to bundle haulers and carriers (including correct distribution by zones, accounting for spoils, service copies, and extra copies).
- Keep distribution centers clean and safe, picking up trash and debris in and around the distribution area daily.
- Assist bundle haulers and carriers with questions and problems in the absence of a company manager.
- Responsible for reporting to management any issues relating to the distribution center and/or daily activities for the distribution center such as, contractor pick up times and product quality issues.
- Maintain and restock supplies for contractor use.
- Ensure all returns reporting and verification guidelines are met and adhered to.
- Assist with training Product Handlers or Product Coordinators as needed.
- Expected to meet regular attendance goals of the company, relate well with other employees and managers, and perform according to company expectations.
- Responsible for personal safety and the completion of periodic safety training.
- Maintain a professional, courteous manner when dealing with employees and independent contractors.
- Performs all other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Connect with us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Glassdoor, Indeed & The Muse to learn more about our dynamic company culture!
Meet Some of Gannett's Employees
Sr. Designer, Product
Marianne designs the visual interface for digital applications at Gannett. She ensures news readers around the world have the most engaging and intuitive experience possible.
Back to top