Point/Breaking News Reporter
The Springfield News-Leader is seeking a Point Reporter (breaking news reporter). The News-Leader’s Point Reporter will be fast to action to get a good story, focused on being first in speed, accuracy and depth. Whether it’s a report of shots fired heard over the scanner to weather rocking our region, this reporter will be on the scene tweeting, taking photos and video and feeding information back to the office.
The point reporter will play an important role in maintaining the newspaper’s superiority in breaking news coverage. The person hired for this position will often be expected to arrive first at the scene and immediately begin reporting accurate information. After an initial story is posted online, the reporter will continue to gather information – layering in depth of coverage, as well as collecting angles for potential follow-up.
In this role, you will:
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics. Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in area of expertise.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Works with content strategist and audience analyst to evaluate what’s working and what’s not, and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Coaches and mentors less-experienced journalists.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
Here’s what you need:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism or equivalent in experience and education
- Five years’ experience developing a personal brand and fan base.
- Experience with advanced storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
- Proven ability to connect with the community through social media and public forums.
- Proficiency at using metrics and other tools to understand, respond to and grow audience.
- Ability to produce top-notch watchdog journalism.
- Exceptional core journalism skills (reporting, producing, editing)
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers’ time and money
- Self-motivated and self-directed
- Strong organizational Skills
- Advanced knowledge of social media and how to engage fan base on digital platforms in the public space
- Photo and video skills
- Effective communications skills with diverse personalities
- Ability to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment
- Proven track record of effective time management in a 24-hour news environment
- Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment
- Embraces peer-to-peer feedback and training
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company’s goals
- Mastery of writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style
- Strong organizational skills
- Command of media law and Principles of Ethical Conduct
- News often requires employees to work extended hours, evenings, weekends and holidays, sometimes unexpectedly.
- Candidates must have a valid driver’s license with a good driving record, proof of insurance and their own transportation.
Here’s what we have to offer:
- Competitive compensation
- Comprehensive Health, Dental and Vision coverage
- Life Insurance
- 401(K) Saving Plan
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Company Holidays
- Paid Time Off to Volunteer in the Community
- Employee Discount Program
About USA TODAY NETWORK:
The USA TODAY NETWORK is the largest local to national media network in the country. Powered by integrated and award-winning news organizations with deep roots in 92 local communities, plus USA TODAY, the multiplatform news network informs and engages more than 100 million people every month through its diverse portfolio of digital, mobile, and publishing products. To connect with us, visit http://www.gannett.com/
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Back to top