The Poughkeepsie Journal, a Gannett Company and a part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a Planning Editor. The Planning Editor uses a high level of expertise and judgment to determine the placement of content and has final say in the finished product. The planning editor supervises producers and has the authority to enforce deadlines. Oversees the planning, programming and production of newsroom content. Acts as a customer-experience expert and newsroom project manager. Collaborates with content strategists and audience analysts to program content by platform and ensure we deliver on key audience expectations. Ensures the right volume and quality of content across platforms for both daily and enterprise needs. Follows through the process from conception to publication to ensure SOPs are followed and deadlines are met.
- Uses judgment and discretion to select and program content by platform, with respect to key days of week and time of day, sections and pages.
- For print: Determines what content will run on section fronts – including A1 – and organizes and assembles content, manages the newshole budget, communicates with the Design Studio, ensures all the promised content is delivered and enforces deadlines.
- For digital: Manages the platform-specific planning charts/day-parting, organizes and assembles content for digital platforms by working with the content teams to decide what content will publish at different times of the day and days of the week.
- Maintains daily and long-range budgets, ensuring there are detailed print and digital coverage plans ahead of known events and in cases of breaking news.
- Manages producers and developers
- Uses metrics gleaned from audience analysts to gain an in-depth understanding of audience and topics by platform and time.
- Oversees all SOPs related to production in the newsroom within NewsGate and Presto, from enforcing proper budget lines and data assignments to ensuring that photos and graphics are assigned to accompany stories.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Performs other duties as necessary.
Back to top