Part Time Copy Editor
The Gannett Design Studio based at the Asbury Park Press – a member of the USA Today Network – is hiring a part time Copy Editor/Page Designer to join the team of dedicated, passionate professionals.
We want a page editor with the tenacity of a copy editor, able to produce attention-grabbing headlines and able to ensure balance and accuracy in content. We want a page editor who thrives under deadline pressures and exudes confidence and collaboration to teammates in the Design Studio and at the newspapers we serve. We want a page editor with the news judgment to ensure a compelling, relevant newspaper. We want a page editor with an eye for page hierarchy to ensure an easy-to-read newspaper.
Candidates should have daily or weekly newspaper experience, which could be satisfied through work on a college or university newspaper. Given the nature of the daily newspaper, our page editors work nights and many weekends.
You will have the ability to work on any of the 15 papers that the studio serves. The staff here will tell you that we have a generous and collaborative creative culture in the studio. There’s nothing quite like working with large group of visual journalists
In this role, you will:
- Utilize cutting-edge design and technology to create visually effective and appealing print products that adhere to legal, ethical and quality standards.
- Design newspaper pages for the newsrooms in a regional cluster.
- Responsible for creating complex page designs and graphic elements; may occasionally produce interactive graphics.
- Create and/or produce cut-out images, graphs, maps, charts, information graphics,etc.
Here’s what you need:
- Experience producing simple to moderately complex designs that are creative, appealing, accurate, etc.
- Ability to thrive in a competitive, deadline-oriented environment.
- Understanding of the print process and ability to produce visual elements in accodance with print standars.
- Successful candidate will have great attention to detail, ability to multitask, excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to lay out pages that are proportioned, balanced and aesthetically pleasing.
- Personal transportation, a valid driver’s license and successfully complete a drug screening and background check.
- College design experience is a minimum requirement.
What would be a plus?
- Previous knowledge/experience of Graphic Design for multiple newspapers.
- 5 or more years of publications design
- Effective team player.
- Understanding of Photoshop.
- Experience working in a corporate environment.
Here’s what we have to offer:
- A fun and dynamic work environment.
- Mentoring from established company leaders across all disciplines.
- A robust training and development curriculum for ongoing learning.
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a next-generation media company committed to strengthening communities across our network. Through trusted, compelling content and unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of nearly 100 million people monthly. With more than 110 markets internationally, it is known for Pulitzer Prize-winning newsrooms, powerhouse brands such as USA TODAY and specialized media properties. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Back to top