Packaging Trainee, Day Shift
The Packaging Trainee is responsible for loading product into the inserting machine; stacking down product from press or inserter to build skids that can be machine inserted or shipped out; and basic material handling functions. The job environment is deadline-oriented work in a manufacturing environment. Work schedule is determined by workflow.
$8.00 per hour, if retained at 90 days the rate increases to $8.50 per hour.
▪ Operate up to two insert feeders simultaneously, handling basic pre-prints, and maintain net machine speed as dictated by the shift supervisor. The task includes properly jogging and loading product into the inserter quickly and accurately to minimize stops and maintain net machine speed. The task may include loading multiple hopper loaders or feeders. The Trainee must be able to recognize machine stops caused by their feeders and clear jams quickly and restart the machine.
▪ Run a press or insert stack down stacker with supervision and a partner to maintain net press or inserting machine speed as dictated by press speed or shift supervisor. Able to build skids of tied or untied product that are neat, stable, and can be fed back through the inserter or shipped out.
▪ Move pallets of material using hand jacks
▪ Maintain effective communication within the department with peers and managers.
▪ Follow safe work methods established by Gannett and/or Lafayette Journal & Courier. Report all accidents and unsafe work conditions. Understands safety responsibilities
▪ Maintain a clean work environment which includes but is not limited to Packaging area, maintenance area and locker room.
▪ Ready and able to accept new work assignments/tasks, schedule adjustments, and adjustment of hours
▪ Accept direction, display a professional and respectful attitude and support a teamwork environment
▪ All other duties as assigned.
- Must have good dexterity and be able to stand during entire shift
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs. repeatedly
- Must be able to perform accurate and efficient tasks
- Must possess basic math skills
- Must have ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Must have reliable transportation
- Must be able to pass a background test and drug screen
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule (days, nights, weekends, holidays and on-call basis)
- High School Diploma (or GED) preferred
For more information on this opportunity, please contact Randy Laguire at (765) 420-5283.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Back to top