Packaging Operator IV
Under the direction of packaging management & supervisors—the Packaging Operator IV is assigned to perform post press related packaging tasks that may include, but are not limited to: Lead operator; delivery dock oversight; product staging; equipment set-up; and advanced operation of: Inserters, joggers, conveyors, stackers, folders, strappers, bottom wrap machines, loaders, printers, address labelers, adhesive advertising applicators, scales, pallet jacks, fork trucks, and stitch & trim binding equipment. Additional duties include assisting with specified reporting and general work center maintenance.
The primary objective is to support efficient production operations as needed to achieve & maintain on-time production, product quality standards, low waste, and operational safety.
Under the direction of lead operators or supervisors—works as part of a packaging crew to coordinate overall post-press operations during a designated shift.
- Report to scheduled shifts on-time and ready to begin work
- Work as a team to achieve & maintain on-time press performance
- Work as a team to achieve & maintain product quality standards
- Work as a team to meet waste goals
Assist with packaging center operations & oversight as assigned
- May provide hands-on lead operator oversight for the following shift functions:
- Shift make ready: Verification of preprint insertion schedules & zoning; product staging; coordinating packaging center and/or specific workstation resources; communication with press, distribution and other departments as required
- Equipment set-up & advanced operation may include: Inserters, joggers, conveyors, stackers, folders, strappers, bottom wrap machines, loaders, printers, address labelers, adhesive advertising applicators, scales, pallet jacks, fork trucks, and stitch & trim binding equipment
- General packaging maintenance includes—but is not limited to: Equipment blowdown, sweeping floors, and pallet & packaging related materials disposal
- Assist with packaging reports & web portal data entry
- Packaging Operator training & develop support
- Always work in a safe manner, and consistently utilize required safety equipment
- Complete required annual OSHA safety training programs: Lockout/Tagout, HazComm, Personal Protective Equipment, Hearing Conservation, Blood borne Pathogen, Forklift
- Ensure all machine safety-guards are installed, functioning properly, and in use
- Constant housekeeping to maintain neat and organized work spaces
- Promote top-of-mind safety awareness
- Immediately report all operational concerns and/or potential safety hazards to the shift supervisor and/or packaging management
Immediately report all injuries to the shift supervisor and/or packaging management
- Provide timely & accurate information to the shift supervisor as required
- Immediately report equipment issues
- Communicate scheduling needs to supervisors and/or packaging management
- Productively respond to change and complete other tasks as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- Good verbal & written communication skills
- Basic math skills
- Mechanical aptitude
- Prior printing experience
- Must be able to u se a PC/email/Excel
Meet Some of Gannett's Employees
Sr. Designer, Product
Marianne designs the visual interface for digital applications at Gannett. She ensures news readers around the world have the most engaging and intuitive experience possible.
Back to top