Packaging Manager-Gannett Publishing Services/Sioux Falls, SD
Gannett Publishing Services
Sioux Falls, SD
Under the direction of the General Manager—the Packaging Manager is responsible for all packaging operational, administrative & financial functions that include, but are not limited to: Production & staff scheduling; assisting with annual budgeting; monthly / quarterly expense estimates (flash); inventory & purchasing of strap, bottom wrap, consumable parts & supplies; equipment maintenance & repair; specified packaging reports & web portal data entry; capital project development & execution; OSHA & EPA compliance; and staff hiring, training, development & performance reviews.
Direct operational oversight may include: Product sequencing; configuring packages; coordinating shipping & receiving; delivery dock operations; product staging; equipment set-up; and advanced operation of: Inserters, joggers, conveyors, stackers, folders, strappers, bottom wrap machines, loaders, printers, address labelers, adhesive advertising applicators, scales, pallet jacks, fork trucks, and stitch & trim binding equipment. General packaging maintenance includes—but is not limited to: Equipment blowdown, sweeping floors, and packaging materials disposal.
The primary objective is to support efficient production operations as needed to achieve & maintain on-time production, product quality standards, low waste, and operational safety.
Key Job Functions:
Under the direction of the General Manager—coordinates overall post-press operations across multiple shifts.
- Report to scheduled shifts on-time and ready to begin work
- Work as a team to achieve & maintain on-time press performance
- Work as a team to achieve & maintain product quality standards
- Work as a team to meet waste goals
- Assist with packaging center operations & oversight as assigned
Administrative & Packaging Task Oversight
- May provide hands-on oversight and/or support for the following packaging functions:
- Annual budgeting
- Supply inventory & purchasing
- Periodic & quarterly expense estimates (flash)
- Assist with packaging reports & web portal data entry
- Staff training, develop & performance reviews
- Capital project development & execution
- Production scheduling
- Staff scheduling
- Shift make ready: Verification of preprint insertion schedules & zoning; product staging; coordinating packaging center and/or specific workstation resources; communication with press, distribution and other departments as required
- Equipment set-up & advanced operation of: Inserters, joggers, conveyors, stackers, folders, strappers, bottom wrap machines, loaders, printers, address labelers, adhesive advertising applicators, scales, pallet jacks, fork trucks, and stitch & trim binding equipment
- Shipping & receiving dock operations
- General packaging maintenance includes—but is not limited to: Equipment blowdown, sweeping floors, and packaging materials disposal
- Always work in a safe manner, and consistently utilize required safety equipment
- Complete required annual OSHA safety training programs: Lockout/Tagout, HazComm, Personal Protective Equipment, Hearing Conservation, Blood borne Pathogen, Forklift
- Ensure all machine safety-guards are installed, functioning properly, and in use
- Constant housekeeping to maintain neat and organized work spaces
- Promote top-of-mind safety awareness
- Immediately report all operational concerns and/or potential safety hazards to operations management
- Immediately report all injuries to operations management
- Provide timely & accurate information to management as required
- Immediately report equipment issues
- Communicate scheduling needs to supervisors and/or packaging management
Productively respond to change and complete other tasks as assigned.
High School Diploma or GED equivalent. Associate / Bachelor degree preferred.
- Good verbal & written communication skills
- Good math skills
- Financial acumen
- Mechanical aptitude
- Prior printing experience
Prior supervisor or manager experience a must!
PC, Word, Excel, and Email
Back to top