Gannett Publishing Services
Sioux Falls, SD
Under the direction of the General Manager—the Packaging Manager is responsible for allpackaging operational, administrative & financial functions that include,but are not limited to: Production & staff scheduling; assistingwith annual budgeting; monthly / quarterly expense estimates (flash); inventory& purchasing of strap, bottom wrap, consumable parts & supplies;equipment maintenance & repair; specified packaging reports & webportal data entry; capital project development & execution; OSHA & EPAcompliance; and staff hiring, training, development & performance reviews.
Direct operational oversight may include: Product sequencing; configuring packages;coordinating shipping & receiving; delivery dock operations; productstaging; equipment set-up; and advanced operation of: Inserters,joggers, conveyors, stackers, folders, strappers, bottom wrap machines, loaders,printers, address labelers, adhesive advertising applicators, scales, palletjacks, fork trucks, and stitch & trim binding equipment. General packagingmaintenance includes—but is not limited to: Equipment blowdown,sweeping floors, and packaging materials disposal.
The primary objective is to support efficient production operations as needed to achieve& maintain on-time production, product quality standards, low waste, andoperational safety.
Key Job Functions:
Under the direction of the General Manager—coordinates overall post-press operationsacross multiple shifts.
- Report to scheduled shifts on-time and ready to begin work
- Work as a team to achieve & maintain on-time press performance
- Work as a team to achieve & maintain product quality standards
- Work as a team to meet waste goals
- Assist with packaging center operations & oversight as assigned
Administrative & Packaging Task Oversight
May provide hands-on oversight and/or support for the following packaging functions:
- Annual budgeting
- Supply inventory & purchasing
- Periodic & quarterly expense estimates (flash)
- Assist with packaging reports & web portal data entry
- Staff training, develop & performance reviews
- Capital project development & execution
- Production scheduling
- Staff scheduling
- Shift make ready: Verification of preprint insertion schedules & zoning; product staging; coordinating packaging center and/or specific workstation resources; communication with press, distribution and other departments as required
- Equipment set-up & advanced operation of: Inserters, joggers, conveyors, stackers, folders, strappers, bottom wrap machines, loaders, printers, address labelers, adhesive advertising applicators, scales, pallet jacks, fork trucks, and stitch & trim binding equipment
- Shipping & receiving dock operations
- General packaging maintenance includes—but is not limited to: Equipment blow down, sweeping floors, and packaging materials disposal
- Always work in a safe manner, and consistently utilize required safety equipment
- Complete required annual OSHA safety training programs: Lockout/Tagout,HazComm, Personal Protective Equipment, Hearing Conservation, Blood bornePathogen, Forklift
- Ensure all machine safety-guards are installed, functioning properly, and in use
- Constant housekeeping to maintain neat and organized work spaces
- Promote top-of-mind safety awareness
- Immediately report all operational concerns and/or potential safety hazards to operations management
- Immediately report all injuries to operations management
- Provide timely & accurate information to management as required
- Immediately report equipment issues
- Communicate scheduling needs to supervisors and/or packaging management
High School Diploma or GED equivalent. Associate / Bachelor degree preferred.
- Good verbal & written communication skills
- Good math skills
- Financial acumen
- Mechanical aptitude
- Prior printing experience
Prior supervisor or manager experience a must!
PC, Word, Excel, and Email
About USA TODAY NETWORK:
The USA TODAY NETWORK is thelargest local to national media network in the country. Powered by integratedand award-winning news organizations with deep roots in 92 local communities,plus USA TODAY, the multiplatform news network informs and engages more than100 million people every month through its diverse portfolio of digital,mobile, and publishing products. To connect with us, visit http://www.gannett.com/
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a proud equal opportunityemployer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. Wewill consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, nationalorigin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation,gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, politicalaffiliation or veteran status.
USA TODAY NETWORK is one of the top 20digital companies in the country, sharing the list with Google, Facebook, andAmazon. We have over 100 million unique visitors a month. This loyal andlarge-scale following is based on a combination of trusted, fact-checkedjournalism, paired with a deep commitment to helping our local communities, andconstantly pushing our content delivery to be first-of-its-kind in thetech-space. And with over 110 local properties and USA TODAY at the helm,you’ll have the luxury of living in a community you love while making anational impact.
Meet Some of Gannett's Employees
Sr. Designer, Product
Marianne designs the visual interface for digital applications at Gannett. She ensures news readers around the world have the most engaging and intuitive experience possible.
Back to top