Newspaper Page Designer
We’re currently looking for a talented designers for our news design team. From big circulation dailies like USA Today, the Cincinnati Enquirer and the Indianapolis Star, to papers like Lafayette (IN) and Asheville, we’re perfect for rookies or seasoned pros.
Our papers’ appetites for top-notch design grows every day, and our work improves every day. It doesn’t matter if you’ve got little experience or are loaded with it – if your work is great, we’ll make sure you design on our best stages. Most importantly, we continue to grow and add staff as we take on new products.
You’ll be surrounded by like-minded designers who live and breathe design and creativity like yourself, yet our Studio retains the feeling of a newsroom. It hustles and bustles as we try to figure out the story and present it perfectly. It’s laid back, fun and full of excitement. We’re collaborative, dedicated to improving, and feedback and coaching is given before deadline instead of after-the-fact.
We’ve got quite a bit of talent to learn from and aspire to. You’ll always find someone to help a page improve. Louisville is a fantastically fun city, with great music, arts, nightlife and food.
In these roles, you would be responsible for conceiving and designing editorial pages including centerpieces for section fronts using CCI Layout Champ for various newspaper sites within Gannett either in print or for digital products. Plays a critical role in raising design excellence through coaching and mentoring other designers and artists. Serve as a go-to person for special projects and/or high end needs, and site needs.
- Responsible for designing high level print pages in CCI Layout Champ with minimal supervision to include Sunday covers and special projects on a regular basis.
- Collaborate with management and other Designers to lead print redesign projects.
- In the absence of a team lead, provide day to day supervision to other designers in accomplishing team goals and meeting deadlines.
- Handle other essential tasks as assigned.
- Bachelors’ degree in graphic design and/or journalism required or comparable experience.
- Minimum of five years’ experience with graphics and page design on a daily newspaper designing features pages using graphics, photos and photo illustration required. Good communications skills, solid news judgment, and importance of story play in news page design a must. Experience designing under pressure in a deadline driven environment required. Graphics, illustrations skills experience and strong writing skills preferred.
If you’re not sure, then checkout our work. It shows the level of design we create in Louisville. You get a glimpse here: http://louisvilledesign.tumblr.com/
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Back to top