News - Reporter II
The Jackson Sun, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, has an immediate opening for a Reporter. The focus of this beat will be the local business community but will also include general assignments.
Researches, reports and writes compelling journalism that continuously grows a fan base by informing and engaging readers. Acts as a public ambassador through community outreach and connects with readers through social media. Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues. Works with the content coach, content strategists and audience analysts to shape storytelling to meet audience needs and interests on every platform.
TYPICAL JOB DUTIES:
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics. Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in area of expertise.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.).
- Works with the content strategist and audience analyst to evaluate what’s working and what’s not, and develops plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all the appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Performs other duties as necessary.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Exceptional core journalism skills (reporting, producing, editing).
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers’ time and money.
- Self-‐motivation and self-‐direction.
- Advanced knowledge of social media and how to engage fan base on digital platforms in the public space.
- Photo and video skills.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Able to multi-‐task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Knows how to use time effectively in an always-‐on workday.
- Works collaboratively within a cross-‐functional environment.
- Must embrace peer-‐to-‐peer feedback and training.
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company’s goals.
- Writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style.
- Industry knowledge.
- Organizational skills.
- Command of media law and Principles of Ethical Conduct.
WORK EXPERIENCE, TRAINING, AND/OR LEVEL OF EDUCATION NECESSARY FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor’s in Communications, Journalism or equivalent in experience and education.
- Internship or previous experience in the job duties preferred.
- Must understand and be able to use metrics to as a story aid
- Have experience with videography
- Must have experience with Microsoft Office Suite and CMS publishing skills
- Must have Social-‐media skills
- Storytelling skills required
- Analytical ability
- Interpersonal skills
- Time management
About USA TODAY NETWORK:
The USA TODAY NETWORK is the largest local to national media network in the country. Powered by integrated and award-winning news organizations with deep roots in 92 local communities, plus USA TODAY, the multiplatform news network informs and engages more than 100 million people every month through its diverse portfolio of digital, mobile, and publishing products. To connect with us, visit http://www.gannett.com/
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Meet Some of Gannett's Employees
Sr. Designer, Product
Marianne designs the visual interface for digital applications at Gannett. She ensures news readers around the world have the most engaging and intuitive experience possible.
Back to top