News - Producer
The Kitsap Sun, part of the USA Today Network, has an immediate opening for a Producer who will provide advanced packaging and presentation across all platforms. You will manage the delivery of content to digital and print platforms and meets deadlines; work with planning editor, content coach, reporters and photographers to best display content on all platforms, using a high level of judgment and creativity. Collaborate with engagement editors to maximize social media presence. Copy edits some content before publishing to digital platforms or handing off to a design studio.
TYPICAL JOB DUTIES:
- Manage the home page, story pages and high-traffic landing pages. Direct the flow of content, sending breaking news emails and push alerts, adding meta-data information, hyperlinks, images, info boxes, and additional digital content. Write digital headlines and summaries, taking into account SEO and key word elements.
- Optimize, aggregate and package assets for print and digital publication. Assemble, format, prioritize and ensure quality control on all print content before it is handed off to the design studio.
- Provide advanced packaging and presentation across all platforms, including tablet, mobile phone and other emerging digital platforms.
- Edit sensitive content for publication-readiness, including clarity, fairness, legality, spelling, grammar, punctuation and style.
- Work with content strategist and audience analyst to evaluate quality and engagement and develop plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Use metrics to monitor real-time data, determine traffic patterns and direct changes tied to the data.
- Manage workflow to meet deadlines.
- Provide great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
- IDEAL KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers’ time and money.
- Advanced knowledge of social media and how to engage fan base on digital platforms.
- Strong digital production skills and decision-making.
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to interpret audience data.
- Ability to edit top-notch watchdog journalism.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Exceptional core journalism skills (reporting, producing and editing).
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to apply innovative, creative thinking to support the company’s goals.
- Command of media law and Principles of Ethical Conduct.
THIS POSITION REQUIRES:
Bachelor’s in Communications, Journalism or equivalent in experience and education.
Five years of experience writing SEO headlines.
Experience with storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
The KitsapSun is a daily newspaper and website located in Bremerton, Washington, justoutside Seattle in what’s considered the center of the region’s West Sound. TheSun’s editorial staff thrives on a digital-first mentality and encouragesexperimentation and innovation in storytelling, from breaking news toinvestigative journalism. The ideal candidate will be focused on the future andopen to innovative ways to improve and grow our 81-year-old legacy of being theprimary news source for approximately 250,000 residents on the KitsapPeninsula.
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an international media and marketing solutions company that informs and engages more than 100 million people every month through its powerful network of broadcast, digital, mobile and publishing properties. Our portfolio of trusted brands offers marketers unmatched local-to-national reach and customizable, innovative marketing solutions across any platform. Gannett is committed to connecting people – and the companies who want to reach them – with their interests and communities. For more information, visit www.gannett.com.
Gannett employees are hired, promoted and rewarded on the basis of talent, performance and dedication. We cannot afford to deprive the company of capable people and will not allow harassment or discrimination based on race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, disability or veteran status. Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer
USA TODAY NETWORK is one of the top 20digital companies in the country, sharing the list with Google, Facebook, andAmazon. We have over 100 million unique visitors a month. This loyal andlarge-scale following is based on a combination of trusted, fact-checkedjournalism, paired with a deep commitment to helping our local communities, andconstantly pushing our content delivery to be first-of-its-kind in thetech-space. And with over 110 local properties and USA TODAY at the helm,you’ll have the luxury of living in a community you love while making anational impact.
Meet Some of Gannett's Employees
Sr. Designer, Product
Marianne designs the visual interface for digital applications at Gannett. She ensures news readers around the world have the most engaging and intuitive experience possible.
Back to top