News - Food Reporter
The Des Moines Register, a member of the USA TODAY NETWORK and Iowa’s leading print and online news source, seeks a reporter to cover the vibrant food scene of Des Moines and Iowa. This candidate should be comfortable writing about a range of topics, everything from what makes a great tenderloin to trends in organic and sustainable food.
In this role, you will:
- Produce a mix of in-depth enterprise stories about culinary trends in Iowa along with alternate story forms and real-time shorter stories designed to resonate with digital audiences.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics. Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in area of expertise.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Works with content strategist and audience analyst to evaluate what’s working and what’s not, and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Coaches and mentors less-experienced journalists.
- Work occasional nights or weekends as needed.
Here’s what you need:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism or equivalent in experience and education
- At least five years’ experience developing a personal brand and fan base
- Experience with advanced storytelling techniques on multiple platforms
- Candidates with multi-media and digital skills will have an edge; this includes the ability to shoot photo and video and participate in strategizing and implementing audience development efforts.
- Ability to produce top-notch watchdog journalism.
- Exceptional core journalism skills (reporting, producing, editing).
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers’ time and money.
- Strong social media presence, experience writing online newsletters and a willingness to look for opportunities to connect with and engage the community/fan base on digital platforms.
- Proficiency at using metrics and other tools to understand, respond to and grow audience
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Proven track record of effective time management in a 24-hour news environment.
- Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment.
- Embraces peer-to-peer feedback and training.
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company’s goals.
- Mastery of writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style.
- Industry knowledge.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Command of media law and Principles of Ethical Conduct.
- News often requires employees to work extended hours, evenings, weekends and holidays, sometimes unexpectedly.
- Candidates must have a valid driver’s license with a good driving record, proof of insurance and their own transportation.
Here’s what we have to offer:
- Competitive compensation
- Comprehensive Health, Dental and Vision coverage
- Life Insurance
- 401(K) Saving Plan
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Company Holidays
- Paid Time Off to Volunteer in the Community
- Employee Discount Program
About The Des Moines Register:
The Des Moines Register, a Gannett Co., Inc., and member of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is Iowa’s prominent media company, reaching readers across the state with our daily Des Moines Register editions, our award-winning DesMoinesRegister.com website and various non-daily publications. We are Iowa’s leading digital and print news source, and pride ourselves on aggressively producing stories that are important and essential for its readership. The Des Moines Register has a distinguished history of political and investigative reporting and has also won national recognition for its innovative storytelling efforts, including the virtual reality project, Harvest of Change.
Des Moines is Iowa’s rapidly growing capital city, with a downtown in the midst of a building boom. There’s also a downtown sculpture garden and skating rink, Riverwalk and recreational trails that connect with others Central Iowa trails, and a blossoming urban neighborhood of lofts, shops and restaurants. Des Moines remains a comfortably sized metro area with reasonable commutes.
About USA TODAY NETWORK:
The USA TODAY NETWORK is the largest local to national media network in the country. Powered by integrated and award-winning news organizations with deep roots in 92 local communities, plus USA TODAY, the multiplatform news network informs and engages more than 100 million people every month through its diverse portfolio of digital, mobile, and publishing products. To connect with us, visit http://www.gannett.com/
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Meet Some of Gannett's Employees
Sr. Designer, Product
Marianne designs the visual interface for digital applications at Gannett. She ensures news readers around the world have the most engaging and intuitive experience possible.
Back to top