News Director - Investigations
The Courier-Journal, a Gannett company, is seeking an experienced and dynamic leader. The News Director – Investigations will be responsible for a team of journalists, aiming to provide a steady stream of high quality content while aggressively using data and analysis to drive decisions in covering the topics and issues most important to our key audience. This leader will coach reporters to make strategic decisions about coverage plans and will direct and champion investigative and First Amendment journalism.
This senior-level manager directs and champions investigative and First Amendment journalism. The director oversees a team of investigative reporters and works across the entire news organization to create a watchdog-driven culture that seeks to expose wrongdoing, hold public officials accountable and ensure transparency in government. This editor has primary responsibility for ensuring a steady stream of top-level investigative work that has impact for audiences in all platforms, with a significant emphasis on mobile experiences. The editor is responsible for working with the executive editor and senior team to help guide the news organization in covering issues of high importance to key audiences. This editor works closely with the digital news director and with a news director who oversees other news operations and reporting teams, and has the skills to work effectively in collaboration with colleagues in other discplines in executing stories. The investigations director must have a deep understanding of investigative reporting techniques, public records and access laws, the importance of data/computer-assisted reporting in investigative work, and a track record for pursuing innovative presentations in digital platforms (examples: interactive content and video storytelling).
- Ability to edit and lead top-notch investigative journalism.
- Deep understanding of investigative techniques and the role of data in helping to drive investigative work.
- Ability to interpret audience data.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Exceptional core journalism skills (reporting, producing, editing).
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Knows how to use time efficiently in a 24-hour news environment.
- Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment.
- Must embrace peer-to-peer training, as a teacher and as a student.
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company’s goals.
- Industry knowledge.
- Writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style.
- Command of Media law and principles of Ethical Conduct and social media guidelines.
- Bachelors’ or Masters’ degree in Communications, Journalism or related field or equivalent in experience.
- More than five years of media management experience.
- Proven proficiency in applying analytics to content strategy.
- Strong communication and collaboration experience.
- Exposure to deadline-driven environment.
We offer a competitive compensation plan, career growth opportunities and continuous training. We also offer a full benefits package which includes medical, paid time off, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability and employee discounts.
We are a drug free, Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Back to top