News - Columnist Indy Car
Job Title: Sports Beat – Indy Car
IndyStar is seeking a reporter for our motor sports beat, largely focused on IndyCar, the Indianapolis 500 and Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
IndyStar is a Top 10 APSE newspaper that has long been a major player in motor sports coverage. Keys to success are breaking news, storytelling through visuals (with an emphasis on video) and writing, providing analytical “Insider” articles, developing high-level enterprise content, building a strong brand in the market through social media and capturing the color, personalities and fan experience of this sport.
This reporter will be called upon in the off-season to provide backup assistance on the Indianapolis Colts beat.
Main Function of the Job:
- Covers all aspects of IndyCar, producing high-value digital content including breaking news, enterprise stories that provide context and analysis, and entertaining features. Covers other auto racing of interest to local audience. In off-season, develops enterprise stories on timely issues, trends and current events that help improve IndyStar’s local sports coverage. Develops content that takes advantage of all platforms available to us, including Twitter, mobile, desktop, video, television and print. Researches, writes and reports compelling journalism that continuously grows a fan base by informing and engaging readers. Acts as a public ambassador through community outreach and connects with readers through social media. Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues. Produces watchdog journalism that leads to change. Works with the content coach, content strategists and audience analysts to shape storytelling to meet audience needs and interests on every platform. Contributes to the community’s greater good through impactful journalism.
Typical Job Duties
- Develops/maintains sources needed to make you the No. 1 local source for auto racing news.
- Be aware of significant trends and developments in the business so you can localize stories for readers.
- Uses social media to build audience and establish your position/brand in the market.
- Helps plan enterprise for big events in advance so we have a great coverage plan and revenue opportunities can be explored. Always be working an enterprise story in the background of daily work.
- Packages content. Consider what pieces are needed — video, photos, graphic, illustration, database, links, etc. — to tell the story in the best way. Work with the right people to execute this content.
- Posts content.
- Meets deadlines.Explores all possibilities for visuals / added value for these high-level stories, including photos, graphics, documents, illustrations.
- Establishes a brand.
- Ensures we deliver excellent planned content for big local sports events.
- Meets deadlines.
- Uses social media to build audience and establish her/his position/brand in the market.
- Helps plan enterprise for big events in advance so we have a great coverage plan and revenue opportunities can be explored. Works on enterprise content in the background of daily work.
- Packages content. Considers what pieces are needed — video, photos, graphic, illustration, database, links, etc. — to tell the story in the best way. Works with the right people to execute this content.
- Posts content.
- Meets Deadlines
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to produce top-notch watchdog journalism.
- Exceptional cross-platform storytelling skills
- Exceptional core journalism skills (reporting, producing, editing).
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers’ time and money.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Advanced knowledge of social media and how to engage fan base on digital platforms in the public space.
- Photo and video skills.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Knows how to use time effectively in an always-on workday.
- Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment.
- Must embrace peer-to-peer feedback and training.
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company’s goals.
- Writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style.
- Industry knowledge.
- Organizational skills.
- Command of media law and Principles of Ethical Conduct.
- Bachelor’s in Communications, Journalism or equivalent in experience and education.
- Five years of experience developing a personal brand and fan base.
- Experience with advanced storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
- What we offer: As a part of Gannett Co., Inc., we offer a dynamic, community-focused environment where individuals are rewarded for exceptional performance. We offer competitive salaries and benefits, including health care, dental and vision coverage, flexible spending account, 401(k), pto-paid time off, personal and sick leave, and tuition reimbursement. Pre-employment drug testing and background screening are required.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
“Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a next-generation media company committed to strengthening communities across our network. Through trusted, compelling content and unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of nearly 100 million people monthly. With more than 110 markets internationally, it is known for Pulitzer Prize-winning newsrooms, powerhouse brands such as USA TODAY and specialized media properties. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.”
Connect with us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Glassdoor, Indeed & The Muse to learn more about our dynamic company culture!
Meet Some of Gannett's Employees
Sr. Designer, Product
Marianne designs the visual interface for digital applications at Gannett. She ensures news readers around the world have the most engaging and intuitive experience possible.
Back to top