Michigan’s Largest Media Marketing Company
Michigan.com, PART OF THE USA TODAY NETWORK, is Michigan’s Largest Media Marketing Company. We combine the largest news and information audience in the state with the top-multi platform marketing experts to provide businesses with a single partner with one purpose, to help them grow. We deliver the trusted brands of Michigan’s largest audience, including the Detroit Free Press, The Detroit News, the Lansing State Journal, hometownlife/O&E Media, the Livingston Daily Press & Argus, Battle Creek Enquirer, and the Times Herald.
The Marketing Specialist works to position and promote brands and products of Michigan.com, Detroit Free Press and The Detroit News across all platforms and channels. This work includes but is not limited to campaign and promotional development and execution for all brands and associated products. In addition, this position also is responsible for various aspects of the Detroit Free Press Marathon, Freep Film Fest and other event marketing events.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The Marketing Specialist will champion new and existing marketing initiatives. Work will include collaborating with other departments to achieve key goals and metrics.
- Works with newsroom to find promotable stories. This includes:
- Building relationships with columnists and editors
- Corresponding with columnists on upcoming stories
- Providing input when needed to find additional ways to promote and grow engagement
- Takes a proactive role approach to create new ideas to brand and market The Detroit News.
- Collaborate with Digital Marketing Specialist to provide story ideas to promote.
- Write and execute trade/sponsorship agreements including meeting with advertisers as needed.
- Work on events from an Audience Development standpoint to help grow audience. This includes improving existing and suggesting new events to help grow audience.
- Collaborate with the Audience Development Director to suggest strategies for audience growth based on knowledge accumulated with newsroom relationships.
- Develop and manage relationships with outside media outlets such as TV and radio to get our talent featured and grow audience on these platforms.
- This position oversees and is responsible for placing, trafficking and managing all internal promotional ad schedules. These duties include coordinating ad schedules for various programs and initiatives and works to resolve any conflicts with other stakeholders. Monthly tracking reports and analysis must be complete to ensure proper allocations are used and budgets are being controlled and met.
- Manages various aspects of for-profit consumer events for the Detroit Free Press which includes managing the volunteers, hotel relations, PR and other duties as assigned for the Detroit Free Press Marathon, its subsidiary events and the Freep Film Festival.
- Coordinates event execution logistics with internal departments, outside vendors and various community organizations and municipalities.
- Acts as a liaison with event sponsors to ensure fulfillment of all sponsorship benefits in accordance with their agreements. This position also has the opportunity to sell new sponsorships and renew existing sponsor contract.
- Coordinates event-specific duties within defined timelines and established expense budgets.
- Works cooperatively with others in the Event Marketing and the Audience Development teams to accomplish overall company objectives and priorities.
Bachelor’s degree. At least 2- 3 years’ experience in marketing, public relations, or related field. Prefer experience and/or knowledge of media solutions, sales, proven social media skills, social media metrics, marketing campaign development, event marketing, consumer events, ability to apply market research, ability to take current cultural trends and apply them to strategic market development.
Key leadership competencies include ability to: demonstrate professional interpersonal skills with internal and external customers, maintain confidentiality of company information, prepare reports accurately and within time deadlines, ability to coordinate several tasks simultaneously within a fast-paced environment, excellent organizational skills, professional presentation and/or facilitation skills.
About USA TODAY NETWORK:
The USA TODAY NETWORK is the largest local to national media network in the country. Powered by integrated and award-winning news organizations with deep roots in 92 local communities, plus USA TODAY, the multiplatform news network informs and engages more than 100 million people every month through its diverse portfolio of digital, mobile, and publishing products. To connect with us, visit http://www.gannett.com/
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Back to top