Manager, Gannett Foundation
Manager, Gannett Foundation
We are seeking a Manager to oversee the daily operations of the Gannett Foundation, a corporate foundation sponsored by Gannett Co., Inc. The Gannett Foundation helps to improve lives in the many communities served by Gannett and beyond. Since its inception, the Foundation has given more than $170 million to thousands of charitable projects across the United States and the United Kingdom.
Through its other programs, the Foundation invests in the future of the media industry, encourages employee giving, reacts to natural and other disasters, and contributes to a variety of charitable causes. Gannett employees help carry out the Foundation’s goals. They participate in local grantmaking review committees, volunteer in their communities and are generous, as evidenced by their charitable contributions and volunteer activities that are matched by Gannett Foundation.
The Manager of the Gannett Foundation is the sole employee of the Foundation and works with all levels of clients both inside and outside the organization. He/she manages an annual budget of $3.6 million and ensures that the Foundation meets all legal and IRS requirements.
In this role, you will:
- Direct and oversee all policies, objectives, and initiatives, including grantmaking, matching gift programs, volunteer programs, executive programs, sponsorships, websites, and expenses.
- Process nearly 1,000 grants and 4,000 matching program requests annually. Respond effectively to a significant number of inquiries from employees and nonprofits.
- Manage the Foundation’s budget process, track all grantmaking and expenses, and work with the Foundation’s bank as needed to review accounts and transfer funds and investments.
- Manage relationships and supervise services provided by outside vendors (Good Done Great and Microedge) and community foundations (Rochester and Quartet).
- Chair the DC Metro Community Grants Committee and the Media Program Grants Committee, requiring an understanding of both local and national grantmaking.
- Interact with the Foundation board, Gannett executives and directors, and Gannett corporate departments including Tax, Finance, Audit, HR, Law, IT, Corporate Communications, Marketing and outside counsel to effectively manage Foundation activities.
- Work closely with Gannett staff in implementing new company philanthropic ventures, ensuring all legal and tax requirements are met.
- Serve as a funder member of the Washington AIDS Partnership’s Steering Committee, a collaboration of local grantmaking organizations and individuals that are fighting HIV/AIDS in the Greater Washington region.
- Oversee a redesign of the Foundation’s website.
- Direct and manage annual online employee giving campaign for all Gannett units.
Here’s what you need:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher and 5-10 years of experience in philanthropy, preferably with a corporate foundation.
- Ability to work independently, make decisions, meet deadlines and think strategically about Foundation issues and activities; must be a self-starter.
- Analytical and creative problem-solving skills.
- Customer-centric approach, with the ability to guide both employees and nonprofits in their interactions with the Foundation.
- Ability to effectively interpret and explain tax and legal requirements to internal and external stakeholders, as well as policies and procedures. Capable of saying no to requests when appropriate.
- Advanced computer skills; experience with Microedge GIFTS online.
- Ability to handle a significant workload independently, balancing many tasks at a time.
- Passion for the value and impact of Gannett’s charitable giving.
Meet Some of Gannett's Employees
Sr. Designer, Product
Marianne designs the visual interface for digital applications at Gannett. She ensures news readers around the world have the most engaging and intuitive experience possible.
Back to top