Maintenance Technician-Gannett Publishing Services/Lafayette, IN
Gannett Publishing Services
Position is responsible for on-deadline support of the production operation and physical plant(s). The position will complete a variety of manual to highly skilled tasks including troubleshooting, maintenance, and repair of pre-press, press, and packaging production equipment and building systems equipment. Primary responsibilities include electrical and electronic systems with secondary responsibilities to include mechanical and pneumatic systems. These responsibilities extend to preventative maintenance tasks and installation of software updates and patches. The job environment is deadline oriented work in a manufacturing environment. Work schedule is flexible but the primary work schedule is on the night shift. The position is an on-call position.
The position must:
- Work effectively as part of a team. Maintenance and troubleshooting functions cross department lines and the position must be able to work collaboratively with pre-press, press, and post-press personnel. In many situations the employee will be the only technical resource on the shift so must also possess the ability to resolve problems independently.
- Assist with inventory and ordering of parts and consumables. A key requirement is to maintain adequate inventory of parts to effect repairs and support equipment. This includes maintenance and tracking of inventory. Again, this is in collaboration with other departments.
- Follow safe work practices, including Lockout/Tagout, established by Gannett and/or the Journal and Courier. Report all accidents and unsafe working conditions; understand safety responsibilities and participate in scheduled safety training.
- Maintain flexibility and react to change productively and handle other essential tasks as assigned.
- Initiate and maintain effective communication with co-workers including other production managers/supervisors, line personnel and managers.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required skills include:
- Ability to read and interpret electrical schematics.
- Ability to troubleshoot electronic and electrical systems, including motors, drives, and controls.
- Working knowledge of basic electrical, mechanical, and electronic components and commercial/industrial controls and diagnostics.
- Working knowledge of programmable logic controllers (plc’s).
- Ability to problem solve and a thorough knowledge of basic repair and troubleshooting techniques.
- Intermediate skill level with personal computer operation (word processing, spreadsheets, e-mail).
- Working knowledge of networks.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Basic math skills.
- Good organizational skills.
- High school diploma
- Certification, apprenticeship, military or vocational education in mechanical/electrical/electronic field or combination of education and experience equivalent to 3-5 years.
- Experience in printing or industrial production environment is preferred.
The environment is fast-paced and the production operations require split second decision making. One must be able to recognize symptoms, analyze information, and take corrective actions quickly and efficiently. The position will be dealing with other production departments, primarily press, pre-press packaging, and building and must be able to communicate effectively. Dexterity is essential when completing adjustments and making repairs.
Back to top