Performs work within the technical area of the packaging department for production of daily newspaper packages and other products.
- Learn and understand all packaging safety rules including chemical safety, hearing conservation, etc.
- Learn and understand how to properly set-up and load the inserting machine to allow for maximum efficiencies and minimum stops, ultimately producing a completed insert package. Must learn and understand all light settings and drops.
- Learn and understand how to properly set-up and run commercial and newsprint stackers, utilizing different bucket sizes.
- Jogs and stacks publications onto carts, pallets or conveyors.
- Counts, straps, and palletizes bundles of product for distribution according to manifest draws, bundle keys, or pallet tags.
- Assist with daily preventative maintenance and complete associated documentation. — Operates forklifts and pallet jacks, loading and unloading pallets and other packages as necessary; maintains department and insert warehouse in an orderly fashion.
- Keeps packaging production area safe, clean, and organized.
- Correctly handles recyclable materials (as assigned) to receive best overall recovery of salvageable materials.
- Works well with employees of the packaging department and other departments.
- Handles all other duties as assigned. Must be able to stand for long periods of time. Must be able to repeatedly and for long periods of time lift and load stacks of insert products into packaging machinery. Exposure to paper dust. Exposure to constant machine noise. Repeated lifting of up to 25 pounds and frequent lifting of 25 to 50 pounds.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Meet Some of Gannett's Employees
Sr. Designer, Product
Marianne designs the visual interface for digital applications at Gannett. She ensures news readers around the world have the most engaging and intuitive experience possible.
Back to top