Government Watchdog Reporter
USA Today Network Co., the parent company of The News-Star, has a great opportunity for a Government Watchdog Reporter. This position researches, writes and reports compelling journalism (in-depth exclusive enterprise, database journalism and storytelling of interest) that continuously grows a fan base by informing and engaging readers. Acts as a public ambassador through community outreach and connects with readers through social media. Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues. Produces watchdog journalism that leads to change. Works with the content coach, content strategist and audience analyst to shape storytelling to meet audience needs and interests on every platform. Contributes to the community’s greater good through impactful journalism.
The Government Watchdog Reporter is a self-motivated, self-directed job expected to lead the way in ground-breaking investigative journalism. The reporter would remain watchful of associated use of taxpayer money and chronicle its use and effectiveness. At the same time, this reporter would offer timely, insightful content that goes beyond council meetings to focus on issues, trends and concerns of local residents. He or she would critically evaluate policies and issues, clearly explaining their purpose and effectiveness. The reporter would keep a vigilant eye on spending, pointing out waste, fraud or corruption, where appropriate. This reporter will collaborate with others across the Gannett Louisiana region who cover these topics.
In this role, you will:
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics. Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in area of expertise.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Works with content strategist and audience analyst to evaluate what’s working and what’s not, and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Coaches and mentors less-experienced journalists.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Performs other duties as necessary.
Here’s what you need:
- Ability to produce top-notch watchdog journalism.
- Exceptional cross-platform storytelling skills •Exceptional core journalism skills (reporting, producing, editing).
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers’ time and money.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Advanced knowledge of social media and how to engage fan base on digital platforms in the public space.
- Photo and video skills.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Knows how to use time effectively in a 24-hour news environment.
- Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment.
- Must embrace peer-to-peer feedback and training.
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company’s goals.
- Writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style.
- Industry knowledge.
- Organizational skills.
- Command of media law and Principles of Ethical Conduct.
What would be a plus?
- Bachelor’s in Communications, Journalism or equivalent in experience and education.
- Five years of experience developing a personal brand and fan base.
- Experience with advanced storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
We offer competitive pay and benefits including: Comprehensive Health, Dental and Vision coverage, Life Insurance, 401(K) Saving Plan, Paid Vacation, Paid Company Holidays, Paid Time Off to Volunteer in the Community, Employee Discount Program and more!
About USA TODAY NETWORK:
The USA TODAY NETWORK is the largest local to national media network in the country. Powered by integrated and award-winning news organizations with deep roots in 92 local communities, plus USA TODAY, the multiplatform news network informs and engages more than 100 million people every month through its diverse portfolio of digital, mobile, and publishing products. To connect with us, visit http://www.gannett.com/
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Back to top