General Manager - Gannett Publishing Services/Wausau, WI
Gannett Publishing Services
- Under the direction of the Regional Manager—the General Manager is accountable for the performance of all production management functions and work centers that include, but are not limited to: Administration, imaging/platemaking, press, packaging, and building services (as applicable).
- Performance accountability includes: Production & staff scheduling; annual budgeting; monthly / quarterly expense estimates (flash); purchasing & inventory of newsprint, ink, plates, parts & supplies; equipment maintenance & repair; labor relations; staff training, development & performance reviews; capital project development; OSHA & EPA compliance; product quality; on-time performance; commercial print relations; and customer service.
- The primary objective is to consistently execute efficient operations to achieve & maintain on-time production, product quality standards, low waste, operational safety, and planned profitability.
- Responsible for managing all production functions, activities and resources to achieve operational goals.
- Works a flexible schedule as needed to address operations across multiple shifts.
Accountable for team performance to achieve & maintain:
- Business continuity
- Asset management
- Strategic planning objectives
- Stable inventories: Newsprint, ink, plates, supplies, spare parts
- Stable labor relations, negotiations & contract compliance (as applicable)
- Staff development, retention & performance reviews
- Standard operating procedures
- Process improvements
- On-time performance
- Product quality standards
- Waste goals
- Operational safety
- OSHA & EPA compliance
- Annual budget preparation
- Monthly / quarterly financial performance & reporting compliance
- Monthly / quarterly expense & revenue estimates (flash)
- Capital project development & management
- Commercial print relations
- Planned profitability
- Positive employee & customer relations
Always work in a safe manner, and consistently utilize required safety equipment:
- Maintain ergonomic work practices
- Complete required annual OSHA safety training programs: Lockout/Tag-out, Hazardous Communications, Personal Protective Equipment, Hearing Conservation, Blood Borne Pathogens, Forklift.
- Ensure all machine safety-guards are installed, functioning properly, and in use.
- Constant housekeeping to maintain neat and organized work spaces.
- Promote top-of-mind safety awareness.
- Provide timely & accurate reports and information to the local operations team & GPS regional management.
- Immediately notify the Regional Director of the following circumstances:
- Operations fall one hour behind schedule
- Potential hard-down equipment failures
- Major product quality or production errors
- OSHA, EPA or other regulatory inspection / audit requests
- Safety hazards
- All accidents & injuries
- Serious equipment damage
- Area of Influence. Indicate the position’s primary area of responsibility (e.g., Head of a Business Unit, Department, etc.).
- Identify internal client groups or dotted-line reporting relationships that are critical to the job. Please include the frequency of the contact, if relevant.
- Regional management
- Press room operations
- Reel room operations
- Imaging / platemaking / computer to plate (CTP) operations
- Packaging operations
- Newsprint / warehouse oversight
- Facility oversight (as applicable)
Education: High school diploma or GED equivalent. Associate / Bachelor operations, management, or business degree preferred.
Experience Required: Minimum ten years newspaper operations management (or similar field) experience.
Skills: Lean production / Worksmart fundamentals
- Site specific CTP / Press / Packaging equipment & systems
- Generally accepted accounted principles
- Financial Accounting and Reporting Manual
Technology: PC Skills, Microsoft Office: E-mail, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Basic understating of computer networking & electronics.
Managerial Responsibilities: Supervises/Manages others (i.e. hires, prepares appraisals, disciplines, etc.)
Back to top