Food and Entertainment Reporter - Part Time
The Argus Leader, a member of the USA TODAY NETWORK and South Dakota’s leading print and online news source, seeks a part-time reporter to cover the vibrant food and nightlife scenes of Sioux Falls and South Dakota. This candidate should be comfortable writing about a range of topics, everything from what makes a great tenderloin and trends in sustainable food, to what’s going on at our local breweries and what people should be doing this weekend.
In this role, you will:
- Produce a mix of enterprise stories about culinary and entertainment trends in South Dakota along with alternate story forms and real-time shorter stories designed to resonate with digital audiences.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics. Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in area of expertise.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Works with content strategist and audience analyst to evaluate what’s working and what’s not, and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Coaches and mentors less-experienced journalists.
- Work occasional nights or weekends as needed.
Here’s what you need:
- A bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or related field.
- Experience developing a personal brand and fan base.
- Experience with advanced storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
- Excellent grammar and writing skills along with the ability to multi-task and thrive in a deadline driven environment.
- Candidates with multi-media and digital skills will have an edge; this includes the ability to shoot photo and video and participate in strategizing and implementing audience development efforts.
- Exceptional core journalism skills (reporting, producing, editing).
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers’ time and money.
- Strong social media presence, experience writing online newsletters and a willingness to look for opportunities to connect with and engage the community/fan base on digital platforms.
- Proficiency at using metrics and other tools to understand, respond to and grow audience.
- Valid driver’s license, proof of insurance and dependable transportation.
Here’s what we have to offer:
- Competitive compensation
- Comprehensive Health, Dental and Vision coverage
- Life Insurance
- 401(K) Saving Plan
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Company Holidays
- Paid Time Off to Volunteer in the Community
- Employee Discount Program
Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post offer drug screen and an acceptable motor vehicle record.
Argus Leader Media, a Gannett Co., Inc. offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package that include a 401(k) plan and eligibility for medical, dental and vision coverage the first of the month after hire.
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a next-generation media company committed to strengthening communities across our network. Through trusted, compelling content and unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of nearly 100 million people monthly. With more than 110 markets internationally, it is known for Pulitzer Prize-winning newsrooms, powerhouse brands such as USA TODAY and specialized media properties. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Connect with us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Glassdoor, Indeed & The Muse to learn more about our dynamic company culture!
Meet Some of Gannett's Employees
Sr. Designer, Product
Marianne designs the visual interface for digital applications at Gannett. She ensures news readers around the world have the most engaging and intuitive experience possible.
Back to top