Times Delta Media is hiring a hybrid Features Reporter/Producer. As a features reporter you will research, report and write compelling journalism that continuously grows a fan base by informing and engaging readers. You’ll act as a public ambassador through community outreach and connect with readers through social media. Working with the content coach, content strategists and audience analysts you will shape storytelling to meet audience needs and interests on every platform.
As a producer, you will manage the delivery of content to digital and print platforms to meet deadlines and work with the planning editor to best display content on all platforms. You’ll also curate and update the digital platform with breaking news, work with the Design Studio and proof specific print covers.
Typical duties include:
- Creation of storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics to become one of the community’s leading voices. (50 %)
- Management of the home page and other story pages. You direct the flow of content, send breaking news emails and push alerts. You’ll proof designated print covers from Design Center and manage workflow to meet deadlines with Design Center. (30 %)
- Through storytelling you’ll connect with the community with outreach through social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc. (5 %)
- You’ll collaborate with the content team to provide all the appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics) and capture basic photos and video as needed. (5 %)
- Promote your personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand. (5 %)
- Perform other duties as necessary. (5 %)
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers’ time and money.
- Advanced knowledge of social media and how to engage fan base on digital platforms.
- Strong digital production skills and decision-making.
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to interpret audience data.
- Ability to edit top-notch watchdog journalism.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Exceptional core journalism skills in reporting, producing and editing.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills to work with diverse personalities.
- The ability to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Know-how to use time effectively in an always-on workday.
- To work collaboratively within a cross-functional environment.
- Embrace peer-to-peer feedback and training.
- To be an innovative, creative thinker who supports the company’s goals.
- A strong command of media law and Principles of Ethical Conduct.
What we have to offer: We offer a competitive salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(K) is topnotch and contributions you make, up to the first 5% eligible for a 100% Company match!
The Visalia Times-Delta is the oldest newspaper in the San Joaquin Valley and the sixth oldest daily newspaper in California. It was originally named the Tulare County Record and Fresno Examiner, and was founded June 25, 1859 by I. W. Carpenter, a printer. Gannett Co. Inc. purchased the Visalia Times-Delta in 1976.
About USA TODAY NETWORK: The USA TODAY NETWORK is the largest local to national media network in the country. Powered by integrated and award-winning news organizations with deep roots in over 100 local communities, plus USA TODAY, the multiplatform news network informs and engages more than 100 million people every month through its diverse portfolio of digital, mobile, and publishing products. To connect with us, visit http://www.gannett.com
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Back to top