Editor in Chief, USA TODAY
Gannett is a next-generation media company that empowers communities to connect, act, and thrive. We are headquartered in McLean, VA and have unparalleled local-to-national reach, successfully connecting consumers, communities and businesses. With the iconic USA TODAY, 107 strong local media organizations, and with more than 160 local news brands online in the U.K., we provide rich content through hundreds of outstanding affiliated digital, mobile and print products. Our goal is to re-imagine our traditional media roots. This is achieved by creating innovative products and services that leverage our role as an information provider and reach our customers whenever and wherever. The Gannett community is stepping boldly into a new chapter, more resourceful, more diverse and more assured than ever.
We are looking for an Editor in Chief to lead USA TODAY, the flagship news organization of the USA TODAY NETWORK. The Editor in Chief is a seasoned news executive, fluent in digital as well as print, responsible for articulating a strategic vision for the future of USAT while setting and executing coverage priorities. This person will have the skills to both raise the quality level of the journalism and increase USAT’s considerable digital reach. Her/his expertise will encompass multiple areas of coverage – investigative, national, international, politics, life, sports, business and more –as well as emerging media, mobile, social media and video strategy, and use of data to drive engagement and traffic. The right candidate will have the experience and ability to assess structure, personnel and technological needs, and to make necessary changes. S/he will be a strong leader and also a collaborative one able to work across the USA TODAY NETWORK, which encompasses USA TODAY plus 107 local news brands including the Detroit Free Press, the Cincinnati Enquirer, Des Moines Register, Milwaukee Journal, and Arizona Republic. The USAT Editor in Chief will work with the other editors on NETWORK-wide coverage that appears in USA TODAY and in all other Network publications, in print and online.
Editor in Chief Key Responsibilities
- Uphold the highest journalism standards across digital and print platforms, strongly support the First Amendment and conceive, pursue and execute watchdog reporting.
- Provide exemplary leadership for USA TODAY and execute the strategic vision.
- Provide leadership and be knowledgeable in national, state, and local news, investigative journalism, public service, and government issues.
- Experienced and fluent in digital as well as in print.
- Develop and implement a multi-platform digital vision for mobile, social and video and strategy focused on achieving target audience specific goals and objectives.
- Provide leadership in increasing journalistic quality and storytelling across all areas of coverage.
- Excellent personal leadership, change management and ability to collaborate and influence cross-functionally—can conduct a dialogue that is intellectually honest, brings out diversity of ideas and creates the appropriate integration/connectivity.
- Strong communicator of the company’s strategic initiatives, purpose, vision, culture and plan.
- Lead the planning and oversee execution of content strategies with a keen eye focused on strategic audiences. Special emphasis is placed on digital and other new platforms. Creativity and an ability to develop and execute innovative approaches are essential.
- Minimum 10-15 years of experience as a respected journalism leader, with emphasis on digital content and storytelling platforms
- Experience in high-level decision-making with complex, impactful or sensitive news content.
- A history of successful leadership, innovation and goal achievement.
- Demonstrated change leader who collaborates and communicates effectively.
- Personal charisma, comfortable with public speaking and a commitment to staff interaction.
- Understanding of the changing media landscape and ability to adapt strategies that address continually changing market and consumer needs and desires.
- Demonstrated strong competitive instincts and intellectual curiosity.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage and coordinate in an environment of accountability.
- Demonstrated track record in recruiting a highly successful leadership team highly desirable.
- Experience driving a successful turnaround or transformation highly desirable.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Meet Some of Gannett's Employees
Sr. Designer, Product
Marianne designs the visual interface for digital applications at Gannett. She ensures news readers around the world have the most engaging and intuitive experience possible.
Back to top