Director, Product Management
The USA TODAY Network, part of the Gannett Co. Inc. (GCI), is a next-generation media company that empowers communities to connect, act, and thrive. We are headquartered in McLean, VA and have unparalleled local-to-national reach, successfully connecting consumers, communities and businesses. With the iconic USA TODAY, 107 strong local media organizations in 33 states and Guam, and with more than 160 local news brands online in the U.K., we provide rich content through hundreds of outstanding affiliated digital, mobile and print products. Our goal is to re-imagine our traditional media roots. This is achieved by creating innovative products and services that leverage our role as an information provider and reach our customers whenever and wherever.
Director, Product Management
We are looking for a hands-on, results-oriented Director, Product Management to drive and scale the USA TODAY NETWORK’S personalization and engagement offerings across its suite of products. The candidate should be familiar with the latest advancements in the personalization field and regularly evaluate new trends and products to improve our offerings. This role has the potential to affect immediate, exponential and demonstrable improvements to user experience and engagement.
The right candidate for this position loves the idea of serving as a product entrepreneur within the USA TODAY NETWORK and is highly motivated to explore, develop and launch pioneering products across web and mobile channels that will engage our audience and serve the needs of our advertising partners.
As a hands-on product management leader, you bring broad product management skills, deep media experience and discipline to the table and are able to mentor your more junior colleagues to create a high-functioning team. You love partnering and working with others, and you figure out ways to collaborate with cross-functional teams because you understand the importance of working as a team.
You are analytical and strategic in the way you solve problems. You can easily jump between day-to-day tactics and long-term vision building. You have a good business sense and understand how products can affect, influence and improve the business. You’ll push for what is right for the business while being passionate about the user experience.
- Understand and analyze user and business needs through user studies, market research, and data analysis.
- Help define product vision and strategy, and build consensus among cross-functional teams.
- Own and drive individual products, features and initiatives (small and large) through full lifecycle – from ideation to launch, then nurturing it through continued iteration and growth.
- Work closely with cross-functional teams to create product roadmaps, business and functional requirements, high level wireframes and prototypes.
- Lead day-to-day product development efforts with technology and project management team using Agile methodologies.
- Create buy-in for the product vision both internally and with key external partners.
- Manage post product deployment activities – track customer feedback, measure our trajectory against success metrics, and evaluate our impact on the business.
- Serve as testing champion – using data and sound testing methodologies to guide decisions.
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
- Document leading practices/lessons learned and drive continuous improvement.
- Evaluate technologies, products, and vendors to support development of detailed product features and requirements.
Desired Skills and Experience
- 7-10 years of product management experience, preferably in online media or content publishing.
- Excited about product ownership and the accountability that comes with it.
- Proven track record of managing others and mentoring future product management leaders.
- A curious and highly motivated self-starter who can work effectively across cross-functional teams and also make things happen on your own.
- Exceptional at working with and analyzing user metrics and turning them into actionable insights, including the use of A/B testing and other analytic platforms.
- Passion for creating user-centric digital and interactive experiences.
- A strong communicator with great written and verbal skills.
- Detail and results oriented, able to write detailed specs and analyze data to justify product decisions and apply key learnings.
- Up to date and knowledgeable about the latest trends, innovations and best practices in the personalization space.
- A team player and fun to work with.
Loves to share inspiration and new ideas with your direct and indirect teams.
We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Back to top