Director of Sales
The Ventura County Star, a part of the USA TODAY Network, is the leading source of local news and information in Ventura County, through a variety of distinct local print, mobile and online products, including vcstar.com. The Star is committed to helping local businesses grow and succeed, thanks to our unmatched combination of unique content and advertising and marketing solutions. We deliver an ENGAGED AUDIENCE using a variety of SOPHISTICATED TOOLS and resources, and provide our clients the INTEGRATED MARKETING EXPERTISE to help them meet their goals.
We have an exciting opening for a dynamic Director of Sales. This position is responsible for building and leading a high-performance sales team dedicated to providing comprehensive media solutions to large, high-potential advertisers and is accountable for moderate to high revenue in the key accounts market segment.
In this role you will:
- Ensure that the business unit meets and/or exceeds revenue expectations. Maintains a high awareness and understanding of the business unit’s revenue responsibilities and is aware of the performance to goal
- Provide direction and strategy to sales staff and works closely with staff members during customer visits in the field, providing coaching and assisting in enhancing account relationships. Collaborates with the staff on strategy, innovation, etc. to ensure that new ideas are developed and presented to clients.
- Consistently provide timely and relevant feedback to sales team and provides coaching to staff to successfully execute the 5-step Sales process.
- Evaluate client opportunity and potential based on current trends, changes in the market, etc. Maintains a strong understanding of market competitors. Develops strategies with the sales team for selling effectively against the competition.
- Communicate and actively encourage a shared commitment to values, vision, strategy and goals.
- Advocate on behalf of the sales team to remove barriers as well as on behalf of management to ensure achievement of company objectives.
We offer a robust, rewarding career experience:
- Work with the best: We’ll surround you with talented leaders driven toward your success and ours.
- Do well here: Further your career while working to serve the greater good in our community.
- Go big: We’ll equip you with the region’s best marketing services and solutions, empowering you to deliver unparalleled results to your customers.
- Get paid well: Enjoy base pay with unlimited earning potential. We want the best.
- Lead a topnotch sales team, which is supported by account managers, digital campaign managers, and more.
Qualified candidates for the position must demonstrate these key competencies:
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred (or a comparable combination of education/experience and/or training will be considered equivalent)
- 3-5+ years of sales management experience
- History of driving results
- Ability to think and act strategically
- Strong two-way communication skills, negotiation and influencing skills, both written and oral.
- Effective collaborator and delegator
- High Aptitude or acumen for digital advertising/marketing
Here’s what we have to offer:
The Ventura County Star offers the opportunity to be part of a dynamic, customer-focused and digitally driven team. We are an established local brand with a range of resources and customer solutions that no one in our market can match. In partnership with Gannett, our parent company, we offer trusted brands, which allow our customers to connect and engage with audiences in new and innovative ways.
- Competitive base salary and uncapped commissions
- Comprehensive Health, Dental and Vision coverage
- Life Insurance
- 401(K) Saving Plan
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Company Holidays
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a next-generation media company committed to strengthening communities across our network. Through trusted, compelling content and unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of nearly 100 million people monthly. With more than 110 markets internationally, it is known for Pulitzer Prize-winning newsrooms, powerhouse brands such as USA TODAY and specialized media properties. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Meet Some of Gannett's Employees
Sr. Designer, Product
Marianne designs the visual interface for digital applications at Gannett. She ensures news readers around the world have the most engaging and intuitive experience possible.
Back to top