Director, Business Development
Director, Business Development
Gannett/USA TODAY NETWORK
The Director, Business Development is responsible for business development activities relating to Gannett’s enterprise partnership objectives. The Director will report to the Senior Director, Business Development and will be required to interface with all levels of the organization (managers to senior executive “C” levels). They will be required to work with the legal and cross-divisional business and finance departments on a daily basis in order to negotiate and execute agreements. The Director will support various business units and must have the ability to become quickly versed in technologies, products, services (e.g. social, mobile) in order to negotiate and execute contracts. They will be asked to be part of strategic discussions, projects, and planning.
Qualified candidates must possess strong communication and negotiation skills, relentless attention to detail, positive attitude, strong management skills, strong interpersonal skills, enthusiasm for the job and completion of tasks, and flexibility with an eye on meeting key dates and requirements. The candidate will be based in McLean, VA.
- Creating business relationships and qualifying business opportunities relevant to Gannett’s key goals.
- Negotiating digital and other publishing-related deals—inclusive of the optimization of Gannett’s current partners.
- Navigating internal deal routing processes and securing budgetary, business and legal approval(s).
- Fostering internal communication among cross-divisional stakeholders.
- Confirm budget, timing and strategic requirements in order to execute deals/partnerships (e.g. prioritization, clearing any obstacles).
- Build and maintain relationships with internal stakeholders while communicating and resolving any potential issues.
- Discuss and negotiate relationships with third-party vendors, partners, technology suppliers and others.
- Assess proposals from potential partners or suppliers and provide input to key stakeholders.
- Participate with other key players in Business Development or other business entities in making strategic discussions based on knowledge of the area and businesses they deal with.
- Handle other essential tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree, MBA and/or JD preferred.
- Minimum 10 years of related experience.
- Experience working at an internet, media or technology startup environment.
- Advanced-level knowledge of emerging technologies, internet business models and digital media.
- Strong understanding of commercial contracts and associated legal terms.
- Resourceful self-starter with an independent attitude and focus on excellence.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills — ability to effectively communicate complex technical, legal concepts and ideas in a non-technical, simple manner across different levels of an organization.
- Well versed in Microsoft Office (e.g. redlining word documents, financial modeling in excel).
- Ability to operate in a high-energy, high-intensity and rapidly evolving environment.
- Solid organizational and project management skills
Gannett Co., Inc. is an international media and marketing solutions company that informs and engages more than 100 million people every month through its powerful network of mobile and publishing properties.
Gannett is a leading media and marketing company with unparalleled local-to-national reach, successfully connecting consumers, communities and businesses. With the iconic USA TODAY, 109 strong local media organizations in 34 states and Guam, more than 150 local news brands online in the U.K., and ReachLocal, a digital marketing company, we provide rich content through hundreds of outstanding affiliated digital, mobile and print products.
Each month more than 100 million unique visitors access content from USA TODAY and Gannett’s local media organizations, putting the company squarely in the Top 10 U.S. news and information category. U.S. local newspapers add an additional audience of 6 million readers every weekday, and USA TODAY adds 2.4 million daily.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Back to top