The Gannett design studio in Phoenix is seeking a designer/page editor is responsible for planning and designing pages for print production the Phoenix Design Studio, and/or producing attention-grabbing headlines and able to ensure balance and accuracy in content. Some digital design may be involved. Designers will also be responsible for special design projects, as assigned, and for producing art/graphics and/or designing pages that adhere to legal, ethical and quality standards. Applicants should have the news judgment to ensure a compelling, relevant newspaper. And their design skills should reflect an eye for page hierarchy to ensure an easy-to-read newspaper.
- Works as a member of the Design Studio team to produce newspapers and other print products. Designers may also handle special projects as assigned.
- Creates and/or produces cut-out images and moderately complex graphs, maps, charts, information graphics, etc.
- Plans and designs pages within sections/ features of the newspaper and for section fronts.
- Draws together multiple elements including stories, photos, graphics, illustrations, logos, information boxes, etc. into a cohesive, compelling presentation of the article.
- Uses content tone to determine the size, style and arrangement and designs pages based upon space and aesthetic design concepts. Suggests and/or selects visual elements and may create secondary graphic elements to accompany content.
- Reviews copy to ensure that visual elements support the content and to ensure accuracy of grammar, spelling, syntax, etc.
- Able to react to change productively and handle other essential tasks as assigned.
Given the nature of the daily newspaper, our page editors work nights and many weekends.
Gannett provides a great work environment with a number of benefits to include medical, dental, vision insurance; 401k plan; paid vacation; along with a number of additional benefits. Qualified candidates should include cover letter, resume and salary requirements when applying.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Back to top