Content Coach - Sports
Content Coach, Sports – Detroit Free Press
The Detroit Free Press, PART OF THE USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking to hire a Sports Content Coach who will work closely with the Sports Director to create sharp, forward-thinking digital and print content. The goal is to engage loyal followers more often and more deeply, while also building the overall audience. You will play a prominent role within a hard-working sports news-gathering operation that focuses on the Big Six: Lions, Pistons, Red Wings, Tigers, Michigan Wolverines and Michigan State Spartans — while pushing for daily and in-depth coverage of other NCAA schools and Michigan’s robust preps scene.
This is an opportunity to be part of a management team in America’s greatest sports town. We want a strong leader and talented front-line editor who is digital-savvy and raring to make our products better. We’re looking for someone who wants to be part of a winning team, dedicated to producing sports content with impact, excitement and information. Media management experience is important, but we’re willing to take informed risks.
- Plan and help oversee coverage of professional sports, NCAA sports and preps content.
- Guide reporters in developing video, digital and print storytelling.
- Assist in engaging and growing an audience on social media platforms.
- Work with reporters, digital producers and planners to edit and execute sports content.
- Coordinate with other Michigan Gannett organizations to generate/share regional sports content.
- Apply innovative, creative thinking to support the company’s goals.
- Help identify opportunities for new products to serve our audience.
- Work collaboratively within a cross-functional environment.
- Embrace peer-to-peer training, as a both a teacher and student.
- Manage for results in a metrics-driven environment in 24-hour news cycle — while also understanding and executing work/life balance strategies for employees.
- Weekend and night work will be required.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to edit and lead top-notch watchdog journalism.
- Ability to build coalitions around evolving needs.
- Exceptional cross-platform storytelling skills.
- Exceptional coaching skills.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers’ time and money.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Ability to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Knows how to use time efficiently in 24-hour newsroom.
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support Free Press goals.
- Writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style.
- Command of media law and Principles of Ethical Conduct.
- Bachelor’s in Communications, Journalism or equivalent in experience and education.
- Experience with advanced storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
- Experience editing and shaping sports and digital journalism.
We offer competitive pay and benefits including: Comprehensive Health, Dental and Vision coverage, Life Insurance, 401(K) Saving Plan, Paid Vacation, Paid Company Holidays, Paid Time Off to Volunteer in the Community, Employee Discount Program and more!
About USA TODAY NETWORK:
The USA TODAY NETWORK is the largest local to national media network in the country. Powered by integrated and award-winning news organizations with deep roots in 92 local communities, plus USA TODAY, the multiplatform news network informs and engages more than 100 million people every month through its diverse portfolio of digital, mobile, and publishing products. To connect with us, visit http://www.gannett.com/
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Meet Some of Gannett's Employees
Sr. Designer, Product
Marianne designs the visual interface for digital applications at Gannett. She ensures news readers around the world have the most engaging and intuitive experience possible.
Back to top