Consumer Experience Editor
The Redding Record Searchlight seeks a talented newsroom leader with a digital-first attitude who will handle our engagement with the community and our consumers. We call it a Consumer Experience Director.
This role oversees the programming, production, packaging and promotion of newsroom content. The consumer experience director’s team works with the content creation team to decide when to publish and on which platforms. This team includes audience analysts, print and digital planners, producers, engagement editors, community content editors and developers. The director is responsible for how customers consume and respond to content, including the use of audience feedback to better engage readers. The director makes daily content decisions based on insights from audience analysts, which are supplemented with data and research from the marketing department. This is a senior-level newsroom management position with oversight of most production activities.
- Supervises and coaches customer experience/production team, including audience analysts, print and digital planners, engagement editor, producers and developers
- Develops and constantly works to improve audience interaction, which is focused on understanding customer behavior and engaging them while applying digital traffic patterns knowledge to all products, applications and solutions
- Develops and implements strategy for improving the users’ experience and expanding customer base
- Serves as liaison between the marketing department and newsroom
- Serves as an active voice in the community, promoting platforms and experiences
- Initiates and oversees product development
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions Performs other duties as necessary
- Performs other duties as necessary
Knowledge & Skills
- Advanced knowledge of emerging audience analytic tools as well as existing tools such as comScore, Omniture, Chartbeat, Facebook, Twitter, SimpleReach, Google Analytics and the ability to interpret and apply such data
- Advanced knowledge of social media and customer feedback tools, including how to respond and engage customers on digital platforms in the public space
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers’ time and money
- Advanced understanding of various news and information content management systems
- Expertise in digital programming for desktop, mobile, tablet, social and emerging platforms
- Ability to utilize basic and advanced computer programs, including MS Office Suite and Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, DreamWeaver and InDesign
- Exceptional core journalism skills (reporting, producing, editing)
- Excellent coaching and team-building skills
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills
- Self-motivation and self-direction
- Industry knowledge
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company’s goals
- Command of media law and Principles of Ethical Conduct
Education & Work Experience:Bachelors or Master’s degree in communications, journalism or related fieldMore than five years of digital news direction/development experienceProven proficiency in digital information programming by platformStrong communication and collaboration experienceExposure to deadline-driven environment
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a next-generation media company committed to strengthening communities across our network. Through trusted, compelling content and unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of nearly 100 million people monthly. With more than 110 markets internationally, it is known for Pulitzer Prize-winning newsrooms, powerhouse brands such as USA TODAY and specialized media properties. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Meet Some of Gannett's Employees
Sr. Designer, Product
Marianne designs the visual interface for digital applications at Gannett. She ensures news readers around the world have the most engaging and intuitive experience possible.
Back to top