Breaking News/Argus 911 Reporter
Argus Leader Media, a Gannett Co., Inc., is looking for a 911 reporter to research, write and report compelling journalism that continuously grows a fan base by informing and engaging readers. You will act as a public ambassador through community outreach and connect with readers through social media. Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues, produce watchdog journalism that leads to change. Work with the content coach, content strategists and audience analysts to shape storytelling to meet audience needs and interests on every platform. Contributes to the community’s greater good through impactful journalism.
What you will do:
- This reporter will respond to breaking news and report from the scene.
- Must be skilled at shooting photographs and video, knowledgeable about using social media tools and be able to work quickly and accurately from the scene of news events. This reporter will be a primary contributor to Argus911.
- Reporter will be assertive in seeking answers from law enforcement officials and will strive to explain news stories accurately.
- Must be able to work with families of crime and accident victims as well as those accused of criminal behavior.
- Must understand the courts and be able to track accused violators through the legal system. Should be questioning and willing to challenge authority in seeking answers.
- Story assignments will include press conferences, meetings and event coverage in addition to public safety reporting.
- Uses Picasso metrics and tools to build a strong personal brand, promote the institutional brand and grow audience.
Here’s what you need:
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field.
- A minimum of 2-3 years of journalism experience.
- Must be a self-starter and a talented storyteller who will work in collaboration with an experienced team of watchdog reporters.
- Excellent grammar and writing skills along with the ability to multi-task and thrive in a deadline driven environment.
- skilled in the use of digital reporting tools, including photo and video and will report on all platforms therefore experience in social media is a must.
- Valid driver’s license, proof of insurance and dependable transportation.
Here’s what we have to offer:
- Competitive compensation
- Comprehensive Health, Dental and Vision coverage
- Life Insurance
- 401(K) Saving Plan
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Company Holidays
- Paid Time Off to Volunteer in the Community
- Employee Discount Program
Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post offer drug screen and an acceptable motor vehicle record.
Argus Leader Media, a Gannett Co., Inc. offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package that include a 401(k) plan and eligibility for medical, dental and vision coverage the first of the month after hire.
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a next-generation media company committed to strengthening communities across our network. Through trusted, compelling content and unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of nearly 100 million people monthly. With more than 110 markets internationally, it is known for Pulitzer Prize-winning newsrooms, powerhouse brands such as USA TODAY and specialized media properties. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Connect with us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Glassdoor, Indeed & The Muse to learn more about our dynamic company culture!
Meet Some of Gannett's Employees
Sr. Designer, Product
Marianne designs the visual interface for digital applications at Gannett. She ensures news readers around the world have the most engaging and intuitive experience possible.
Back to top