Breaking News Reporter - Detroit Free Press
Breaking News Reporter – Detroit Free Press
The Detroit Free Press, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is hiring a reporter to break news for digital audiences and deploy to the scene to cover stories as they develop via social media and mobile interaction. Along with breaking news, this reporter will develop enterprise reporting off the news, write narrative stories, and pursue larger projects alone and as part of a team.
We’ve always considered Detroit to be one of America’s great news towns. There are no shortages of stories to chase or conceive. Our ideal reporter has ideas about how to connect these breaking stories about crime, fires, traffic and notable news events to larger discussions about big issues: identity, poverty, Metro Detroit’s history and the future of our communities.
The breaking news reporter shoots and edits photos and videos and researches, reports and writes compelling stories to inform and engage readers. This reporter must be adept at growing a digital audience by producing reliable reports, frequent updates and exclusive details. In this position, you will also act as a public ambassador through community outreach, and will be expected to connect with readers — through social media, on camera and in person through live events.
- Bachelor’s in Communication, Journalism, or equivalent experience and education
- Previous reporting experience; even better if you’ve covered a breaking news or police beat
- Previous experience developing following around personal journalism through use of social media
- Proficiency on social media platforms; including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Periscope and Snapchat
- Experience with shooting and editing photos and video on an iPhone
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing industry
- Knows how to use time efficiently in a 24-hour newsroom
- Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment
We offer competitive pay and benefits including: Comprehensive Health, Dental and Vision coverage, Life Insurance, 401(K) Saving Plan, Paid Time-Off (PTO), Paid Company Holidays, Paid Time Off to Volunteer in the Community, Employee Discount Program and more!
The USA TODAY NETWORK is the largest local to national media network in the country. Powered by integrated and award-winning news organizations with deep roots in 92 local communities, plus USA TODAY, the multiplatform news network informs and engages more than 100 million people every month through its diverse portfolio of digital, mobile, and publishing products. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com/
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Back to top