Breaking News Reporter
Marion Star Media is seeking a talented, energetic Breaking News Reporter with strong entrepreneurial skills and three to five years of experience to join our team in Marion, Ohio. Must be urgent, a quick learner, social media savvy and have a passion for storytelling. Along with breaking news, this reporter will report on police and court news and develop enterprise reporting off the news, write narrative stories and pursue larger projects alone and as part of a team. The reporter should be comfortable with and eager to use social media to alert audiences and be adept with camera and video equipment.
In this role, you will:
- Research, write and report on compelling journalism that continuously grows a fan base by informing and engaging readers.
- Acts as a public ambassador through community outreach and connects with readers through social media.
- Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues. Produces watchdog journalism that leads to change.
- Works with the content coach, content strategists and audience analysts to shape storytelling to meet audience needs and interests on every platform.
- Contributes to the community’s greater good through impactful journalism.
- Cover local sports news with urgency and accuracy with the goal of always being first to report important developing news on our digital platforms. This includes a heavy focus on features and enterprise coverage, columns and videos.
- Be competitive and dedicated to accuracy to allow for building a “must-follow” brand for readers interested in sports news coverage in the market. This requires solid beat work beyond games through routine contacts with key sources and players, constantly scanning and leveraging social media, and a commitment to avoid publishing boring traditional content in favor of ideas that will connect with our 25-45 target audience.
- Be capable of posting error-free basic stories to our digital platforms.
- Be expected to help with news coverage when needed, especially breaking news coverage.
Here’s what you need:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism
- Experience working for a newspaper or magazine
- Excellent communication and time management skills
- Ability to write accurately and detailed, knowledge of AP style
- Must be able to work well on deadline
What we offer: As a part of Gannett Co., Inc., the nation’s largest media and marketing solutions company, we offer a dynamic, community-focused environment where individuals are rewarded for exceptional performance. We offer competitive salaries and benefits, including health care, dental and vision coverage, flexible spending account, 401(k), paid vacation time, personal and sick leave, and tuition reimbursement. Pre-employment drug testing and background screening are required.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
“Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a next-generation media company committed to strengthening communities across our network. Through trusted, compelling content and unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of nearly 100 million people monthly. With more than 110 markets internationally, it is known for Pulitzer Prize-winning newsrooms, powerhouse brands such as USA TODAY and specialized media properties. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.”
Back to top