Breaking News Reporter
The award-winning Pensacola News Journal, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, a top global digital media company, which reaches more than 100 million people monthly through a powerful network of mobile & publishing properties, is seeking an energetic, self-motivated reporter to join its team as a breaking news/cops reporter.
The News Journal has a national reputation for its breaking news coverage and our reporters must be able to quickly, accurately and with creativity cover the breaking news that impacts our community. The ideal candidate has a deep understanding of the issues facing law enforcement and the general community as it relates to criminal activity, social justice, prevention, protection and prosecution. This reporter goes beyond covering crime, and looks to find trends, causes and potential solutions to the crime epidemic in our community. This position provides constant coverage of breaking news in the evening and on weekends, staying on top of crime, accidents, fire and other emergencies, as well as staying alert to developing stories that occur in off-peak hours. This reporter must have a solid use of social media and digital tools including the ability to write quickly and accurately for the web, video and photography skills.
In this role, you will:
- Use multimedia storytelling tools on tight deadlines, in a fast-paced environment, for our print and digital platforms.
- Develop high-‐impact stories that are tailored to individual audiences
- Collaborate and connect with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.)
- Work with the content strategist and audience analyst to evaluate what’s working and what’s not, and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all the appropriate elements for the story (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Promote personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provide great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
- Reporters are regularly called on to shoot and edit video, participate in social media strategies and understand how to promote themselves and their content across platforms.
Here’s what you need:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or a related field
- Strong background in creating content for mobile and digital audiences, to include video, social media and podcast experience.
- Ability to work in cross functional teams
- Creativity to generate own story ideas and build a loyal audience
- Exceptional cross-‐platform storytelling skills.
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers’ time.
- Exceptional core journalism skills (reporting, producing, editing).
- Self-motivated and self-directed, knows how to use time efficiently in a 24-hour news environment.
- Photo and video skills.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities, with an advanced knowledge of social media and how to respond and engage fan base on digital platforms in the public space.
- Able to multi-‐task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment
- Ideal candidates will have three to five years of experience covering business and should know their way around digital platforms.
Here’s what we have to offer:
- Competitive compensation
- Comprehensive Health, Dental and Vision coverage
- Life Insurance
- 401(K) Saving Plan
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Company Holidays
- Paid Time Off to Volunteer in the Community
- Employee Discount Program
- Tuition Reimbursement
About USA TODAY NETWORK: The USA TODAY NETWORK is the largest local to national media network in the country. Powered by integrated and award-winning news organizations with deep roots in 107 local communities, plus USA TODAY, the multiplatform news network informs and engages more than 100 million people every month through its diverse portfolio of digital, mobile, and publishing products. To connect with us, visit http://www.gannett.com/
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Back to top