Breaking News Reporter
Breaking News reporter (entry level)
The Breaking News reporter researches and reports the news of the day and writes smart, context-filled stories on tight deadlines.
- Identify top news stories of the day
- Report stories using interviews, source documents, social media and original research
- Write and/or produce multimedia content that appeals to key audience targets and maximize user experience on digital platforms.
- Manage digital fronts when needed.
- Work closely with graphic, photo and video teams to optimize and produce content.
- Work closely with social media producers to promote reporting and stories
- Pitch in on all major breaking news stories in all subject areas, including national, world, business and technology
- Writes quick-hit enterprise and trend stories off the news
The ideal candidate:
- Reports thoroughly and accurately
- Has familiarity with and can access reporting resources such as police and court records
- Demonstrates strong news judgment
- Shows initiative
- Writes quickly, clearly and accurately
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing
- Has a working knowledge of AP style and superior command of spelling, grammar and inverted pyramid newswriting
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission
- Knows how to manage time effectively in a 24-hour news environment
- Is comfortable using social media, such as Twitter, Facebook and Periscope, to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Engages with readers through social media
- Understand multi-platform delivery
- Strives to improve writing and newsgathering by working with editors
- Works weekends and nights as needed
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories
- Is willing to travel at the last minute to cover breaking news events
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news
- An applicant should write a personal statement noting what qualities he or she could bring to a dynamic, fast-moving newsroom. Please include a variety of clips showing spot news coverage and enterprise reporting. Please submit no more than six clips.
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a next-generation media company committed to strengthening communities across our network. Through trusted, compelling content and unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of nearly 100 million people monthly. With more than 110 markets internationally, it is known for Pulitzer Prize-winning newsrooms, powerhouse brands such as USA TODAY and specialized media properties. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com/careers
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Back to top