Breaking News Reporter
The Abilene Reporter-News, a Gannett Co. Inc. company and part of the USA TODAY NETWORK is hiring a Reporter to break news for digital audiences and go to the scene to cover stories as they develop via social media and mobile interaction. Along with breaking news, this reporter will develop enterprise reporting off the news, write narrative stories, and pursue larger projects alone and as part of a team. The reporter also will have some responsibilities in business news coverage and general assignments.
Abilene, a city of 125,000 people, is the regional hub for an area of about 5,000 square miles that we call the “Big Country.” We are proud of our Western heritage but we aren’t just cowboys and cowgirls. Abilene is a cultural oasis with a symphony, ballet theaters, community chorus and band, museums and a strong arts community. We serve as a magnet, attracting people from the area for shopping, medical needs, entertainment and education. Abilene has three private universities, a state technical college, a branch of a state university’s health science center and a community college. The city’s largest employer is Dyess Air Force Base.
The breaking news reporter shoots and edits photos and videos and researches, reports and writes compelling stories to inform and engage readers. This reporter must be adept at growing a digital audience by producing reliable reports, frequent updates and exclusive details. The reporter also will act as a public ambassador through community outreach, and will be expected to connect with readers — through social media, on camera and in person through live events.
- Bachelor’s in Communication, Journalism, or equivalent experience and education
- Previous reporting experience; even better if you’ve covered a breaking news or police beat, but strong internships at daily newspapers can work, too
- Previous experience developing a following around personal journalism through use of social media
- Proficiency on social media platforms, such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Periscope and Snapchat
- Experience with shooting and editing photos and video on a smartphone
- Has own reliable transportation and state-mandated insurance
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities
- Able to multi-task and excel under deadline pressure in a rapidly changing industry
- Knows how to use time efficiently
- Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment
Here’s what we offer:
We offer a competitive salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is topnotch and contributions you make, up to the first 5% eligible for a 100% Company match!
About USA TODAY NETWORK:
The USA TODAY NETWORK is the largest local to national media network in the country. Powered by integrated and award-winning news organizations with deep roots in 92 local communities, plus USA TODAY, the multiplatform news network informs and engages more than 100 million people every month through its diverse portfolio of digital, mobile, and publishing products. To connect with us, visit http://www.gannett.com
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Connect with us on LinkedIn
Meet Some of Gannett's Employees
Sr. Designer, Product
Marianne designs the visual interface for digital applications at Gannett. She ensures news readers around the world have the most engaging and intuitive experience possible.
Back to top