Gannett is a next-generation media company that empowers communities to connect, act, and thrive. We are headquartered in McLean, VA and have unparalleled local-to-national reach, successfully connecting consumers, communities and businesses. With the iconic USA TODAY, 92 strong local media organizations in 33 states and Guam, and with more than 160 local news brands online in the U.K., we provide rich content through hundreds of outstanding affiliated digital, mobile and print products. Our goal is to re-imagine our traditional media roots. This is achieved by creating innovative products and services that leverage our role as an information provider and reach our customers whenever and wherever. Explore the possibilities as an Associate Developer inside our Consumer Marketing Solutions team.
We are looking for a developer to join our Consumer Marketing Solutions team.
The solutions maintained by the team are aimed at increasing Gannett’s subscriber base and adding value to the company’s overall product suite. These solutions include: a newspaper subscription application, billing management application, newsletter management application, enhancements to the news publication web sites, etc.
In this position you’ll work closely with information architects, designers, product managers, and fellow developers on enterprise solutions that will shape Gannett’s future.
Who you are:
You’re a detail-oriented person that desires to ship a professional product. You’re interested in seeing the big picture and actively strive to improve your understanding. You have strong communication skills and are able to convey your ideas to technical and non-technical individuals alike. You’re able to effectively manage your time, stay cognizant of deadlines, and ask for assistance when needed.
What you’ll do:
On this team you’ll have an opportunity to develop features within an existing framework and contribute to the design and development of new solutions. You’ll participate in the peer review process, curate quality documentation, and work with fellow team members on developing better processes and coding practices.
You’ll hate this job if:
- It’s your way or the highway. You’ll be joining a team with a great deal of experience identifying what approaches are viable.
- You need to start from scratch. While we encourage you to develop innovative new approaches you’ll also be asked to work in existing systems and conform to standards already established.
- You like to wing it and shun process.
- You’re disorganized and can’t self-motivate.
You’ll love it if:
- You want to work on solutions that make a difference. Our platform is used by thousands of folks across the country to tell their stories, and the content produced is seen by more than 100 million users a month.
- You like collaborating with a team of intelligent individuals. We encourage all team members to share their knowledge — including regular lunch’n learns.
- You love doing things the right way: documentation, unit tests, adhering to standards, peer reviews, QA testing, etc.
- You want to work in a friendly environment full of fun people. Working downtown Indianapolis, the team often heads out for lunch, happy hour, or upstairs to catch a movie. We also have some proficient foosball players — bring your A game!
- 1-2 years of experience with one or more common web application languages (Python, PHP, Ruby, Java, etc.).
- Be familiar with version control principles, using APIs for data communication, responsive design, web standards, and best practices.
- Have strong communication skills (written / verbal).
- Be intensely detail-oriented and organized.
We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Back to top