Explore the possibilities as an Android Developer reporting directly to the Director, Mobile Development.
The mobile team is responsible for developing and delivering best-in-class mobile solutions scalable throughout multiple Gannett companies including USA TODAY. All Gannett mobile initiatives are extremely high profile and must utilize state of the art technologies.
Specific duties include building Native Android applications using the latest technologies and frameworks, integrating 3rd party SDKs and interacting with internal clients to determine requirements and architecture.
- Bachelor’s degree in technical discipline preferred
- Minimum 3 years software development experience that includes at least 1 year of Android
- Strong object-oriented design, programming and debugging skills
- Demonstrated experience with Java and the Android SDK is a must
- Experience with Git and Github is a must
- At least one app in the Google play Store is desired
- Experience with client & server side development including consumption of web services a plus
- Strong debugging skills with the ability to reach out and work with peers to solve complex problems
- Prior successful experience in media or related industry is desirable
- Experience with other parts of the Java ecosystem e.g. Java enterprise development a plus
- This position is responsible for the development, testing, release and support of Gannett mobile initiatives and services.
- This individual is also responsible for maintaining and contributing to a cutting edge approach to the mobile presence
- The Developer will work closely with the Mobile Product team and other parts of the USA Today Network.
- The ideal candidate possesses an innovative but disciplined approach to technology development. He/she possesses an orientation to successful, on-time, on-budget project implementation
- Keen attention to detail and quality, complying with Gannett’s high standard of quality
- Work with other developers, designers and product/business managers to develop new features consistent with product roadmap
- Learn and absorb new technologies quickly, be a strong team player and rapidly adapt to changing business and customer demands
- Be innovative, contributing ideas and working with constituents to evaluate and propose approaches that balance speed to market needs against processes needed to scale services to all markets and total audience
- Maintain awareness in technology developments that affect either our audience’s ability to use our products or extend new product potential
- Able to react to change productively and handle other essential tasks as assigned
- Proactive, innovative, collaborative, and driven to achieve desired results
- Passionate about solving problems for users, advertisers and publishers
We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Connect with us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Glassdoor, Indeed & The Muse to learn more about our dynamic company culture!
Meet Some of Gannett's Employees
Sr. Designer, Product
Marianne designs the visual interface for digital applications at Gannett. She ensures news readers around the world have the most engaging and intuitive experience possible.
Back to top