Vice President, Marketing
Galileo is hiring a visionary VP of Marketing who will tell Galileo’s compelling story to the world, helping to strategically grow our reach. A central leader of Galileo’s management team, this individual will drive our short and long term customer strategy, overseeing both our marketing and customer service teams. From brand building and multi-channel execution, to customer retention and new customer acquisition—our VP of Marketing will ensure we reach hundreds of thousands of families across all territories.
We value divergent thinkers who bring various experiences and viewpoints to the table at Galileo. We strongly encourage members of underrepresented groups and people of diverse backgrounds to apply.
Who are you?
- You believe in and care personally about the Galileo mission. You believe in innovation. You believe that when kids are fearless, they learn and care more deeply. You believe that these fearless innovators will go on to change the world. And you want to be at the start of bringing about this change to more kids and staff each year.
- Storytelling is your jam. You’ve got a knack for—and demonstrated experience in—understanding a brand’s essence and translating it into a compelling set of stories, campaigns, and most importantly, results. You know how to work internally and/or choose agencies and outside vendors, and you are adept at getting exceptional creative outcomes every time.
- You (really, really) get and love digital marketing. There’s not a TLA (three letter acronym) you don’t know and haven’t managed closely. From SEO and SEM to CPA, LTV and ROI, you are a data driven marketing strategist and executor who thinks, markets and lives by the numbers—and you’ve got the track record to prove it.
- You have an extensive hat collection. You wear many of them. You operate with an all-hands-on-deck mentality and understand that vision, strategy and execution go hand in hand, especially when your impact is so big.
- You’re an adept time and task manager. Juggling isn’t just a party trick—it’s your specialty. You know when to switch gears from detail management to supportive mentorship. You and your team meet your commitments, every time.
- You’re a glass-half-full hard worker and lifelong learner. You’re committed to quality and are prepared to put in long hours when necessary. You take ownership over your own performance and strive to make Galileo—and yourself and your team—better every day as you embody the growth mindset. And you lead from a place of urgency, abundance, and positivity.
Who are we?
We think the world needs innovators. We also think kids who learn to explore and fail without fear—the essence of innovation—are happier, more creative and more confident when faced with life’s challenges. And we think kids with these skills are more likely to change our world and be the masters of their own.
Founded in 2002, Galileo operates summer day camp programs at 70+ locations throughout the Bay Area, SoCal, and Chicago. Our mission is to develop innovators who envision and create a better world, and we reach this mission through employment of our unique pedagogy, the Galileo Innovation Approach.
We’re ranked #1 on the Best Places to Work in the Bay Area by the SF Business Times (and have been on the list for ten years running), have been named one of Forbes’ Best Small Companies in America, and over 97% of our summer staff say they would recommend working for us. Joining Galileo means joining an organization that is a model of innovative learning, with a company-wide commitment to camper inclusion and broadening our impact. Learn more about our financial assistance program and other community efforts.
What’s the job, really?
- You’ll envision, cultivate, and drive our nationwide marketing strategy. From developing and executing a nationwide annual marketing plan to creatively growing new camper acquisition tactics, you (and the team you lead) will be accountable for growing our business in new and existing markets.
- You’ll deftly manage customer service and retention programs. You’ll bring special care and know-how to driving customer retention, providing stellar service, and growing existing loyalty programs. You see as much value in—and are as excited about— creatively retaining customers as you are building new business.
- You’re an inherent (and proven!) brand-builder and storyteller. You’ll lead our strategy for brand positioning and messaging for all of Galileo Learning (LLC), including Camp Galileo (K-5th grades), Galileo Summer Quest (5-8th grades), public relations, and thought leadership; you’ll also consult on employer branding tactics.
- You’ll consistently act, achieve and operate. Working from a results-oriented mindset, you’ll lead the continuous analysis of all marketing results, and provide ongoing recommendations for campaign optimization.
- You’ll be a collaborative and invaluable company leader. You’ll also be a key member of the VP and executive leadership team, consulting on topics ranging from company-wide initiatives to growth strategy. You’ll also contribute to decision-making on everything from camp program pricing and refund policies to recruitment brand positioning to shared field marketing event strategies.
- You’ve got a keen eye for—and experience with—design and messaging. You’ll oversee development of all marketing materials that support annual campaigns including brochures, fliers, email templates, video, radio spots, postcards and more.
- You’ll skillfully manage all marketing and retention related budget, vendors, and tactics. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Grassroots & community marketing
- Promotional programs including discounts and referral programs
- Email & Direct mail
- Agency relationships
- Social media
- Print and online advertising
- SEO and SEM
- Public relations and speaking opportunities
- Partnerships and affinity relationships
- Website development and support
- Brand-building and awareness
- You care deeply, and are a servant leader. You measure your success in part by the success of teammates, and by how well you’ve supported your team of 4-8, all cross-functional stakeholders, and business partners. As a manager, you help people grow both personally and professionally, and believe the role of a manager is to lift up—and inspire greatness in—those they supervise and support.
What are we looking for?
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA preferred
- Minimum 10 years experience leading B2C marketing; at least 5 years at Director level or higher, with experience managing high performing teams
- Experience marketing education (K-12) and/or kid-related marketing a plus
- Readiness to stick around: we find that our team benefits from a 3 year minimum commitment
Benefits & Compensation
- Base salary and bonus potential to be discussed
- Employee medical and dental benefits provided by Galileo; employee-paid dependent care and multiple ancillary benefits available
- Generous parental leave and extensive support with leave planning
- 401(k) provided after one year of employment; current Galileo contribution is 3%, with an employee contribution option
- We believe that a balance between work and life is essential to happiness and success, so work hard and take the time you need; 25 personal days per year
- We offer a significant camp discount to year-round and seasonal employees
Galileo Headquarters, 1021 3rd Street, Oakland, CA 94607
Back to top