Galileo is looking for a high-performing buyer to negotiate and build partnerships with multiple domestic and offshore vendors. As our purchasing leader, you will assess our internal needs, strategically and creatively source specialty suppliers, and arrange for the purchase and delivery of goods.
We value divergent thinkers who bring various experiences and viewpoints to the table at Galileo. We strongly encourage members of underrepresented groups and people of diverse backgrounds to apply.
Who are you?
- You are intrigued or inspired by Galileo’s mission and purpose. Innovation education, project-based learning, and working in a professional, welcoming, deeply camp-inspired environment should sound like things you’re ready to explore or sign up for.
- You’re a performance-driven, deeply accountable problem solver. Negotiating a great price or an excellent deal makes you downright giddy. You look at the details of life through a lens of optimization, measurement and efficiency, and feel responsible for ensuring stellar financial results.
- You’re a determined and detailed executor. Forty thousand four-inch, yellow popsicle sticks? You leave no stone unturned in your efforts to find the exact ones for the best price and delivery times. You understand the deep impact of finding the right materials and are adept at navigating your way to the source or manufacturer. You’ll also make sure things run smoothly every step of the way.
- You’re a team player and process-oriented visionary. You can confidently contribute to a creative vision and have the team mindset to effectively collaborate with others to realize it. You’ve got an eagle eye for process improvement and are always seeking to better yourself and Galileo.
- You care about people and the relationships you build with them. You communicate clearly and effectively, act with a deep sense of empathy, and constantly nurture your relationships with colleagues and vendors.
Who are we?
We think the world needs innovators. We also think kids who learn to explore and fail without fear—the essence of innovation—are happier, more creative and more confident when faced with life’s challenges. And we think kids with these skills are more likely to change our world and be the masters of their own.
It takes a village to bring best-in-class, ever-evolving camp programs to over 30,000 campers each summer. At HQ, we believe that we are Galileo; through the work of each contributor and team, we bring our values to life, and constantly make our company and culture better. Because here, values aren’t just lip service — we aim to be more visionary, courageous, collaborative, determined and reflective each day, and back that effort up with structure to ensure our success. People who work hard, seek feedback to improve their work and themselves, feel deeply accountable for excellent work product, and play very, very well with others tend to thrive in our culture. Complainers don’t.
We like each other, we joyfully work hard together, and united by a shared dedication to our mission to create a world of fearless innovators, we encourage innovation in everything we do. We’re also a certified B Corp, and uphold a company-wide commitment to camper inclusion and broadening our impact. Learn more about our purpose from our CEO & Founder, Glen Tripp.
What’s the team like?
The Galileo Operations and Warehouse team are masters of multitasking and organization, successfully coordinating the purchasing, inventory management, and delivery of all camp materials. You will directly interface with our Curriculum, Field Ops, and Finance teams to provide thousands of young innovators with tools to tinker and create. Plus, you’ll do it in a place filled with glue sticks and googly eyes, pool noodles and paper mache. It’s behind-the-scenes magic in the making, all year long.
What’s the job, really?
Materials purchasing for 70+ summer camps and HQ support
- You’ll create, execute and manage the plan to source vendor partnerships that can evolve as Galileo continues its growth trajectory, and will constantly envision ways to do that better, hitting or beating all performance targets along the way.
- You’ll develop and collaborate on overall purchasing strategy, then work to drive down the $2m+ company materials expenses. You’ll partner with our Curriculum, Field Operations and Finance functions to minimize expenses and maximize efficiency.
- You’ll own all materials acquisition from start to finish. You’ll manage the purchasing data and supplies budget, select and manage vendors, negotiate the best possible price and terms, arrange the purchase and delivery of goods, and build long-standing partnerships.
- You’ll be our in-house materials expert. You’ll evaluate and respond quickly to changing production requirements, supplier prices, evolving products, and markets and services.
- You’ll continually assess our data and strategies, then innovate when necessary. You’ll gather expense data from supply systems to analyze costs. You’ll work to improve how we order supplies to lower cost and the amount of vendors we work with. You’ll manage and improve supply management systems and integration with our inventory tracking system.
Collaboration with other departments
- You’ll collaborate closely with your team and across departments. You’ll work with the production team on vendor qualification and material validation processes. You’ll provide financial data for other teams to manage the cost of their activities. You’ll connect with other team members to understand material requests and advise on buying options.
- You’ll build trust and empathy to enable strong partnerships with multiple teams. You’ll extend that commitment and provide excellent service to camp staff as well.
What are we looking for?
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Experience sourcing and managing vendors, with strong consideration for exact-match materials sourcing
- Deep understanding of and experience with purchasing contracts
- Excellent negotiation, customer service, and consulting skills
- Strong market knowledge and experience working with international vendors; Mandarin fluency a plus
- Experience with inventory tracking systems; experience with Fishbowl a plus
- Strong project and inventory management and organizational skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Advanced skills with Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in teams
- Readiness to stick around: we find that our team and team members benefit from a 3 year minimum commitment.
Benefits & Compensation
- Base and bonus potential to be discussed during interview.
- Employee medical and dental benefits provided by Galileo; employee-paid dependent care and multiple ancillary benefits available.
- Generous parental leave and extensive support with leave planning.
- 401(k) provided after one year of employment; current Galileo contribution is 3%, with an employee contribution option.
- We believe that a balance between work and life is essential to happiness and success, so work hard and take the time you need; 20 personal days per year.
- For team members with kids, we offer significant discounts on camp programs.
Galileo Learning’s Warehouse, 2350 Davis Avenue, Hayward, CA
Galileo Learning’s Headquarters, 1021 Third Street, Oakland, CA 94607
Meet Some of Galileo's Employees
Camp Director & Interview Specialist
Nelda is at the center of Galileo's innovation—hiring staff, managing their professional development, overseeing camp operations, and building relationships with parents and members of the community.
Back to top