Extended Camp Coordinator
Excited to flex your creative muscles by running your own educational program for kids? Great at managing details and building relationships?
Extended Care Coordinators create a unique program within the larger camp day that expands the opportunity for fun at camp. The extended care program duration lasts over half the length of the rest of the camp day, so there is a huge opportunity for impact. Experienced program managers and visionaries wanted. Learn more about this role and working at Galileo in our jobs video gallery.
We value having divergent thinkers who bring various experiences and viewpoints to the table at Galileo. We strongly encourage members of underrepresented groups to apply.
Galileo’s mission is to develop innovators who envision and create a better world. We know it’s bold. We also know that we can’t achieve it without asking staff to be role models of an innovator’s mindset—visionary, courageous, collaborative, determined and reflective. It’s not always easy. Camp staffers work hard. Very hard. You can expect days in which there’s a ton to get done and not a ton of time to do it. But part of what makes our culture great is that no one is too proud to complete any task that needs doing. Our camp staffers bring camp magic to life—for campers, and for themselves.
This isn’t your average summer recreation gig. Galileans are expected to take ownership of their own performance and make this place better every day. People with a can-do attitude thrive here and those with a victim mentality don't. We manage to keep this level of performance expectation high in a relaxed environment; we take our work, but not ourselves, seriously.
Being a Galilean means jumping into action to bring camp magic to life. Depending on the day, that could mean donning a tutu for a skit, creating a gorgeous sign that highlights the Galileo Innovation Approach, or playing a board game with two campers to build connection. You’ve got to know what it means to be a vital part of a team. You’ve got to want to grow. You’ve got to like to have fun at work. You have to smile—a lot—and you have to like to laugh. After all, we run summer camps. You get the point.
SHARED VALUES AND EXPECTATIONS
- Serve as an ambassador of Galileo, demonstrating our mission and values in a positive and professional manner and acting as a role model of the Galileo Innovator’s mindset
- Commit to building a safe, child-focused community
- Demonstrate professionalism and accountability
- Take initiative to analyze and solve problems
- Treat others with courtesy and respect
- Respond to camper, family member and colleague needs
- Strengthen our relationship with host site by upholding facility policies and embracing host site employees as partners
- Maintain a high standard of ethics, integrity and confidentiality
- Commitment to educational programming for children
- Flexibility to meet changing work needs and demands
- Ability to work collaboratively on a high-functioning team
- Openness to feedback and desire to grow professionally
- Ability to handle multiple tasks efficiently and accurately
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail
- Ability to communicate clearly, maturely and compassionately with families
- Ability to maintain an excellent work ethic, a high level of energy and exceptional enthusiasm all day, every day, for the duration of the summer
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
- College graduate
- Demonstrated leadership experience
- Program management and/or curriculum development experience a plus
- Experience working with kids or in a camp setting a plus
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate and manage daily operations and programmatic components of Extended Care & lunch programs, creating a high energy, organized, professional and positive experience for campers, families and staff
- Support Camp Director in managing all aspects of the Extended Care & lunch programs, including: staffing assignments and schedule; morning snack and lunch distribution; camper activities and programming; supply and material management; camper check-in and check-out; and ensuring exceptional weekly family survey results
- Communicate with and support the Operations Coordinator to prepare and manage lunch, Extended Care capacity, camper paperwork and rosters, and other related administrative duties
- Manage the Extended Care check-in and check-out processes, ensuring a high quality experience for families through the delivery of the Galileo News, communication of important information, and solicitation of feedback
- Work to improve Extended Care and lunch programs or accommodate specific campers, making changes as necessary
- Innovate, and adapt curriculum; communicate regularly with and provide feedback to your Camp Director
- Check in with Camp Director and other staff frequently to communicate staff, camper, and family needs
- Contribute to and participate in daily camp ceremonies and all-camp activities as necessary
- Set, work toward, and achieve measurable professional development goals
WORK HOURS AND DATES
The camp environment is demanding, requiring intense dedication and work ethic from each staff member. Depending on the time of summer or the specific week or day, the needs of camp and resulting staff hours may vary. We seek and make offers to staff who we believe are capable of thriving in this environment and contributing to camp’s success.
General Camp Staff Hours Information:
- Staff may work anytime between 7:30am and 6pm, Monday through Friday. Number of hours and start/finish time will vary by site, position and day
- Staff meetings: During regular work hours before or after the start of programming
- Before setup days begin, complete between 2-12 hours of online training
- Training and setup days: Participate in two mandatory training and setup days in the days before camp starts
- Camp cleanup: Participate in cleaning and packing up camp for an additional 5-10 hours, typically an extra 1-2 hours at the end of each day during the final week of camp. On the last day of camp all staff stay on site until cleanup is complete, which will be 6pm at the earliest
Position-Specific Hours Information:
The camp day runs, on average, 8 hours for Extended Care Coordinators. Extended Care Coordinators typically work 10am-6:30pm. Extended Care Coordinator typically do not work overtime. Extended Care Coordinators may work with the Camp Director on prep prior to training and setup days; this time may total up to 24 hours of prep time, no more than 8 hours in a day
We are committed to competitively compensating staff. Regarding compensation:
- Extended Care Coordinators are compensated at a regular hourly rate of $13.75-15.00 per hour
- Staff will be compensated at a different hourly rate (training rate) for 2-10 hours of online training to be completed before camp, and for 2 days on-site setup/training. Training and setup day hours will be compensated at a regular hourly rate of $10.50-13.00 per hour
- Summer staff positions are temporary, seasonal positions and do not include health benefits or paid vacation time
- Overtime will be paid at 1.5x the regular hourly rate in accordance with state and federal requirements
- Payroll is processed weekly; payments will be issued and paystubs made available the Friday after each camp week
General supervision, ongoing observation and evaluation is provided by Camp Director.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Some lifting and carrying up to 60 lbs.
- Typing, writing, reading
- Seeing, hearing and speaking, both nearby and at a distance
- Use hands and fingers to help with classroom supplies and operate equipment
- Frequent sitting
- Standing, walking, kneeling
Meet Some of Galileo's Employees
Brandon manages a region of innovation camps in Los Angeles by planning programs and building the teams needed to carry them out, delivering an exceptional summer experience for kids.
Back to top