Director of Finance
Galileo is seeking a Director of Finance to help secure our strong financial footing as we become a national company. We're looking for someone with just the right mix of forward, future-oriented thinking, balanced with strong attention to the day-to-day accounting and controller needs of a growing company. You'll develop, lead, and inspire a small team to ensure all the usual finance work gets done and, because we're small, you'll be right in the weeds with your team executing on the basics some of the time. We're a tight knit group, and as the head of finance you'll partner closely with each department head to help them regularly set and beat targets, elevating the success of the entire organization. If creating a complex Excel spreadsheet ignites your passion for finance and you love the idea of working with positive, intentional leaders, this may be the perfect match.
We value divergent thinkers who bring various experiences and viewpoints to the table at Galileo. We strongly encourage members of underrepresented groups and people of diverse backgrounds to apply.
We have a totally audacious mission. We think the world needs innovators. We also think kids who learn to explore and fail without fear—the essence of innovation—are happier, more creative and more confident when faced with life’s challenges. They don’t always get this incredible boost in other settings, but thousands of them have been getting this boost at Galileo since 2002.
It takes a village to bring these fresh, inspiring, ever-evolving camp programs to over 30,000 campers every summer, and our headquarters team is up to the challenge. We believe that WE are Galileo. United by a shared dedication to our mission to create a world of fearless innovators, we encourage innovation in everything we do, whether writing cutting-edge curriculum, staffing exceptional summer teams, purchasing and packing supplies, spreading the word about our camps or delivering top-notch customer service. Learn more of Galileo's mission and why the world needs innovators from our CEO & Founder, Glen Tripp.
Core Qualities, Abilities & Motivation
- Commitment to educational programming for children
- Flexibility to meet changing work needs and demands
- Ability to work collaboratively and positively on a high-functioning team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- High degree of computer literacy (Office, Google, etc.)
- Extensive experience working with QuickBooks online; financial ERP experience a plus
- High level of integrity and ability to work with detailed and confidential information
Required Experience & Education
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher required, MBA preferred
- Minimum 5 years in a finance management role
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Reporting and Analysis
- Provide accurate and timely monthly financial reports to the company’s P&L managers and senior management
- Lead in developing, reporting and analysis of key performance metrics; ensure accurate weekly performance reporting in partnership with the operations team
- Partner with management to understand cost drivers and identifying risks and opportunities
- Create detailed excel models and analyses to support strategic decision-making
- Provide ad-hoc reporting and analysis as required by senior management
Budgeting and Forecasting
- Lead and manage the company’s annual budgeting process: produce the budget and quarterly forecasts, including the gathering of necessary data, development of supporting models, and collaborating with business partners to determine assumptions.
- Partner with the CEO and COO on long range financial planning and updates to the unit economic model
- Develop ad-hoc forecasts to provide direction and insight to business partners to support decision making
General Financial Management
- Develop and implement accounting policies and procedures, including internal controls
- Negotiate with and act as primary liaison to Galileo’s banks, seeking the best rates and service for the company in its Checking, Savings, LOC, Credit Card, Merchant and other banking relationships
- Project monthly cash flow needs and use this information to inform loan draws and AP
- Work with CPA to ensure accurate and timely tax filings and financial reports
- Partner with People Operations to ensure accurate and timely payroll reporting
- Train new Galileo hires on financial policies and procedures, reporting, etc.
Staff Management and Leadership
- Supervise Bookkeeper/Finance Project Manager in maintenance of company’s filing system for financial records
- Ensure timely AP/AR management, manage credit card and reimbursement process, and oversee monthly ledger and account reconciliation
Schedule & Time Commitment
- Galileo asks for a 3 year commitment
- At least 5 weekends of work annually, including an off-site overnight retreat
- Regular office hours averaging 45-50 work hours per week
- Possible occasional travel to non-Bay Area Galileo regions; some travel to visit camp locations in the Bay Area during the summer
Classification & Compensation
- Year-round, full-time, benefited employee
- Base and bonus potential to be discussed during interview
- Medical and Dental benefits provided. 401(k) provided after one year of employment
General supervision provided by Chris Goetz, Chief Operating Officer
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job, with or without reasonable accommodation:
- Some lifting and carrying up to 30 lbs.
- Typing, writing, reading
- Seeing, hearing and speaking, both nearby and at a distance
- Frequent sitting
- Standing, walking, kneeling
Galileo Learning’s Headquarters, 1021 Third Street, Oakland, CA 94607
Back to top