Manager, Unix Systems
Purpose of Position: The Manager of Unix Systems is responsible for planning, design, administering, and maintaining the company’s back-end hardware systems, operating systems, and software applications, while working with the Development and Operations Teams. Also responsible for leading a team of system engineers to create best-practice system design and deployment processes, provide technical guidance, and manage the team’s performance. corporate infrastructure. Along with responsibility for FTD’s Unix Systems, and Hardware, the position ensures that we meet our uptime SLAs and build and maintain a stable and highly available environment. In addition, the Manager of Unix Systems, aids with key vendor relationships such as hardware vendors, maintenance and licensing.
This position is part of the technology leadership team and as such the individual is expected to lead by example and create a high-performing environment and help drive the teams to meet their collective business and strategic goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work to ensure the Unix systems and hardware meets up-time SLAs and performance goals.
- Manage the goal setting process, performance reviews, and other personnel management duties for the team.
- Coach, mentor, motivate, and supervise team members and contractors, and influence them to take positive action and accountability for their assigned work.
- Work closely with stakeholders and internal customers to understand project priorities and requirements, and to provide support for the business.
- Ensure the teams meet the service metrics established for the IT support teams.
- Ensure that FTD’s access controls are properly implemented and maintained; work with Finance to validate those controls on a quarterly basis.
- Manage vendor contracts (hardware, licenses) and aid in purchasing decisions to meet budgeted numbers.
- Manage multiple projects with a focus on timely delivery and adherence to budget and feature-functionality targets.
- Work in a matrix environment that includes other technology teams at FTD as well as offshore teams.
- Estimate the resources and participants needed to achieve support and project goals.
- Look for ways to reduce expenses year-over-year.
- Draft and submit budget proposals, and recommend subsequent budget changes where necessary.
- Determine and assess need for additional staff and/or consultants and make the appropriate recruitments if necessary.
- Identify and resolve issues and conflicts within the team.
- Conduct post mortems and create the appropriate Incident Report or post mortem documentation and plans for improvement.
- Develop best practices and tools for management and operations of Unix systems.
- Responsible for ensuring continued viability of the Disaster Recovery solutions.
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Engineering preferred; minimum of 5 years of management experience in a software development organization preferred.
- Experience managing, coaching, and mentoring multiple work teams in the design, development, installation or maintenance of large-scale, consumer-facing web-sites along with the internal support systems is required.
- Excellent leadership skills with the ability to set the strategy and objectives that drive optimal results.
- Proven project management and decision-making capabilities
- Experience with Sox and PCI security standards is a plus
- Extensive experience with infrastructure design, implementation and troubleshooting of large VMware ESX and Virtual center environments hosting diverse server workloads
- Excellent communication skills. Using verbal and written methods, possesses ability to facilitate and bridge communication between business and technology.
- Highly skilled in working as a team player and collaborator in an organization.
- Hands-on project management experience and proven leadership execution on large programs
- Ability to conform to shifting priorities, demands and timelines through analytical and problem-solving capabilities.
- Ability to learn, understand, and lead the organization through the application of new technologies.
- Technical understanding and experience leading teams using the following technologies:
- Use of Unix Shell and scripting languages such as BASH, Python, and Perl
- Experience with configuration management systems, SaltStack, Puppet or Ansible
- Oracle RAC, MySQL and SQL Server Databases
- Oracle SPARC based servers, Oracle x86, HP, Dell. Cisco UCS and VMWare
- Solaris 10, 11, Red Hat, Centos, Oracle Linux, and VMware ESX or Xen Hypervisors
- Understanding and use of enterprise SAN technology and infrastructure.
Back to top