Position Description: This position description provides the minimum job requirements as additional duties may be assigned by supervisors. The requirements listed are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities to qualify for the position. This job description is not a contract and does not change the employment "at will" relationship. FTD reserves its right to amend the job description at any time at its discretion.
Purpose of Position: The Dir of Operations is responsible for a range of critical management responsibilities in a high-volume manufacturing and pick/pack/ship fulfillment center for personalized products. This manager is a member of the on-site operations team that supports the planning and execution of critical peak periods as well as day-to-day management of various teams in the facility. Duties include direct management of some, but not all, of the following activities: receiving, quality assurance, materials management, inventory management, manufacturing, gift wrapping, order consolidation, and shipping. In addition, key planning duties include: labor planning, supplies planning, budgeting (expense and capital), and vendor management. This position requires a high level of leadership and strong analytical and communication skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Evaluate effectiveness of current fulfillment, manufacturing, warehouse and support operations management operations. Assess current processes/systems with regard to managing physical facilities and inventory, equipment, product-handling, product-storage, facility safety, human resources, etc.
- Lead project to develop the blueprint for an optimal company-operated facility center, including facility layout, process flow, equipment, etc.
- Develop specific ramp-up plans to prepare for peak holiday volumes by establishing peak operating plans, staffing requirements and training processes that ensure high customer experience during peak seasons.
- Provide subject matter expertise to project implementing new operations and inventory management systems at company assigned, internal and external centers.
- Establish collaborative relationships with key third-party fulfillment partners at multiple levels (facility management, line supervisors, etc.) to ensure open communication and partnership to achieve common goals.
- Identify areas where company can improve quality, increase productivity, reduce costs or otherwise enhance the business. Prepare cost/benefit analyses assessing each opportunity. Develop and execute implementation plans as needed.
- Responsible for the management of elements of operations (production and fulfillment), quality assurance, personnel and facility functions for the Personal Creations production and fulfillment center.
- Manage and develop the operations team to optimize productivity and promote growth; focus on continuous improvement and innovation.
- Ensure the organization is utilizing robust metrics centered around service, cost, productivity and control while delivering on commitments for cost savings and efficiency improvements.
- Build and foster positive relationships with key business internal partners (including Finance, IT, Quality, Customer Service and Marketing).
- Develop detailed, constraint-based peak operating plans to efficiently execute peak holiday volumes across a balanced scorecard of metrics.
- Develop, implement and facilitate processes that focus on achieving measurable improvements to production efficiency, inventory management, quality, fulfillment accuracy and on-time delivery.
- Plan resources (both equipment and staff) to meet growth requirements and seasonality constraints based on corporate strategic plan.
- Ensure adequate and efficient staffing, equipment and space utilization to fulfill operation goals during peak holiday weeks as well as non-peak periods.
- Develop detailed facility operations plans and schedules for peak periods based on high-level parameters provided by senior management.
- Partner with Warehouse Management Systems team (WMS) in order to understand, maintain and develop system functionality for improved operations performance.
- Partner with Finance Team to develop annual departmental operating budget, track/control spending and proactively seek cost-effective initiatives.
- Ensures adherence to rules, procedures, policies, guidelines, and regulations, including Health, Safety, and Environmental (HS&E)
- Partner with Human Resources to continuously improve policies, procedures, practices and training.
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 10-14 years in distribution/production facility, manufacturing management and /or strategic supply chain planning/engineering, working with perishable products, especially flowers.
- Broad experience across supply chain functions.
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex supply chain organizations within a demanding, fast-paced culture.
- Possess a high sense of urgency, results-orientation, ability to instill process and analytical rigor, and a demonstrated ability to cultivate partnerships while challenging the status-quo.
- Exceptional relationship-building skills with strong ability to negotiate and influence others.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Fluency in English required with Spanish desired.
See Inside the Office of FTD Companies
FTD Companies, Inc., is a premier floral and gifting company. Through its diversified family of brands, FTD provides floral and gift products to consumers primarily in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the Republic of Ireland. The company’s portfolio of brands in the U.S. and Canada includes: FTD, ProFlowers, Shari's Berries, Personal Creations, Cherry Moon Farms, Sincerely, and Gifts.com. FTD’s mission to delight and inspire customers is the foundation of the business today.
Back to top