SQL Server DBA
Mid-Level SQL SERVER DBA -
Frontline Education, a leading EdTech company headquartered in Malvern, PA, has a dynamic career growth opportunity for a mid-level Database Administrator to help develop, build and support efficient database solutions for our custom applications. Acting as key member of the Data Management team, this individual will be responsible for the successful operation and support of Frontline database environments. The Database Administrator is responsible for overseeing database policies and procedures to ensure the performance, integrity and availability of databases and their accompanying software.
We at Frontline are heavily dependent on Microsoft SQL Server and MongoDB for many of our application data management responsibilities. For this reason, we are looking for someone who has a successful track record for developing and maintaining database technologies. He/She should show qualities of taking pride in their work and feeling a sense of ownership for the systems that they support. We have a great work environment here at Frontline and we are looking for someone who will be a complement to our existing Database Management team.
Critical Performance Objectives:
1. Within the first 6 months of hire you will be performing most routine Operational DBA responsibilities which include:
- Ensuring all data conforms to our RPO and RTO objectives through tested backup and restoration plans;
- Ensuring the high availability/reliability of our DB environments through proven high availability technologies (clustering, log shipping, Always On Availability Group Mirrors, MongoDB Replica Sets, etc…);
- Ensuring the security of data within the environments by maintaining proper database security policies;
- Monitoring the database environments so that they perform at an optimal level.
2. By first quarter 2017 the Database Administrator should feel comfortable supporting the operational needs of our Frontline DB environments and participate in the Frontline Database On-Call Rotation. He/She will also…
- Start to play an active role in diagnosing problems and working with the technology team to provide efficient solutions;
- Begin to work in a proactive manner by identifying opportunities for process improvements and creating automated solutions;
- Assist with Performance and Tuning of Frontline database environments by analyzing database performance using tools and monitors;
3. By third quarter 2017 the focus should shift to “streamline” the database support procedures and provide robust documentation for all monitors, processes and common issues/occurrences.
4. Long-Term objectives:
- Work with the technology team to centralize our distributed data environments using consistent and predictable ETL practices;
- Provide suggestions/recommendations for design and code changes;
- Tune existing SQL procedures and DB indexes
5. On an ongoing basis, mentor and train new SQL Server Database Administrators on our database support procedures.
To operate most effectively in our technical environment, you should have experience with the following:
- Manage/maintain/monitor database systems
- Perform routine audits of systems
- Design and performance tune database systems
- Maintain and report system performance statistics
- ETL processes
- Safeguarding information in databases against accidental or unauthorized damage, modification or disclosure
- Work in a collaborative technology team environment
- Develop ways to automate routine time consuming operational tasks
- Implement and supporting SQL Server 2012/2014; knowledge of backup and recovery strategies
- Understanding of SQL Servers High Availability concepts (clustering, log shipping, AlwaysOn Availability Groups)
- Understanding of SQL Servers database scalability concepts (partitioning, replication, compression)
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills including robust troubleshooting skills with a focus on preventative actions
- Experience with some of the following technologies and concepts is not required but would be a plus: Microsoft Operating systems, Active Directory, SSIS, OLTP, DSS, OLAP, Data Archiving, Data Warehouse, Wait Statistics, Solarwinds DPA, Policy Based Management, Power Shell, MySQL, MongoDB, Linux
- B.S. in a technical discipline or equivalent experience
- At least 5 years’ experience performing database administration functions and supporting Microsoft SQL Server 2012, 2014 in a 24x7 production environment
- Ability to understand the role NoSQL technologies play in todays complicated applications environments and be willing to learn these new technologies.
Back to top