Senior Mobile Developer (Android)
Frontline Education, a leading EdTech company headquartered in Malvern, PA, has a dynamic career growth opportunity for a Senior Mobile Developer to help build native and hybrid apps for our school administration platform. This individual will play a strategic role in extending the company’s mobile development practice into the Android market to better support educators and students.
Since native Android experiences are a relatively new area of focus for the company, the ideal candidate will be someone who has a track record of successfully developing, testing, and deploying native and/or semi-native Android apps for business purposes. He/she will have worked in a professional team environment on projects that had multiple stakeholders with the end goal of building high-quality solutions that solve business goals. All that to say, we need a rock star candidate who can launch us in the right direction!
Critical Performance Objectives:
- The Senior Mobile Developer will adopt and extend our existing mobile development practices into a repeatable strategy to build native Android apps that integrate with restful APIs and share common logic, UI elements, and development practices. He/she will work in collaboration with the rest of our mobile development team, technical architects, and product designers to extend Frontline’s technology stack, user interface guidelines, and development practices into the Android market. As a subset of this objective, he/she will also:
- Assist in developing a solid, repeatable approach to testing apps. He/she will partner with test engineers to figure out how to effectively QA/user test each app, triage, and solve issues in order to deliver best-of-breed mobile experiences.
- Adhere to best practices for usability, accessibility, performance and interaction across platforms, screen sizes, and devices.
- Within a reasonable time upon hire, the Senior Mobile Developer will have successfully demonstrated proficiency by building and deploying a native Android proof-of-concept. This app should provide the organization with a reasonable level of confidence that future Android releases will be similarly successful. He/she will also work with the larger mobile team to define a release strategy and communication support for future app releases.
- After initial development, the focus should shift to “streamline and repeat” of our mobile execution strategy so that within 12 months of hire, the Senior Mobile Developer has successfully established a pattern of continuous high-quality releases aligned with business objectives.
- On an ongoing basis, mentor and train new mobile developers on our Android development strategy, with special emphasis on what our best practice is for leveraging the restful APIs we are creating as part of our platform.
Soft skills we are looking for in a candidate:
- Agility. We want someone who embraces the values of people over process, working code over technical specs, collaboration over itemized requirements, and responsiveness to change.
- A good listener. You value the opinions and viewpoints of others in determining strategic direction. You aren’t coming in with a strong bias one way or another – you listen and think critically about what makes good sense in each situation. You ask the appropriate questions, weigh the pros and cons, and figure out where the appropriate compromise is.
- Ability to refine ambiguity. You embrace the mantra of “climbing the mountain” not just maintaining it. You are able to take high-level vision and translate that into a tactical business strategy that you and others can execute on.
- Strong integrity and interpersonal skills. You exhibit exemplary personal and professional ethical standards and are able to work well in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Leadership. You lead by example and proactively coach / mentor junior team members for the betterment of the team. You take ownership of and articulately defend your decisions but are willing and able to pivot when new data points in an alternate direction.
- Personal and professional development. You invest in ongoing development of yourself and your skills through self-study or training classes.
- Commitment to the company, team, and product success.
To operate most effectively in our technical environments, you should have experience with the following:
- Strong demonstrable experience developing modern Android native and/or native-hybrid apps that reflect a deep understanding of:
- The Android SDK
- Different versions of the Android OS from 5.0 to today
- Material Design user interface guidelines and principles
- RESTful APIs to connect apps to web services
- Experience with app performance optimization and memory tuning
- Proficiency with Git or other version control systems
- Familiarity with continuous integration practices
- Experience in Agile (Scrum) environments is preferred
- Ability to provide expert-level guidance on Android trends, pitfalls, and best practices
- Familiarity with cross-developing/deploying for iOS is a plus
A degree in Computer Science or a related field is preferred, but comparable experience is most important.
Back to top