We at Frontline are heavily dependent on Microsoft SQL Server and MongoDB for many of our application data management responsibilities, but also have a growing collection of new and exciting database technologies for which we are responsible.
For this reason, we are looking for someone who has a successful track record for developing and maintaining SQL Server database environments, but who is also open minded and ready to learn new database technologies as the need arises. This individual will proactively identify opportunities for automation, improved efficiency, and elimination of redundant processes on all levels of operational and development-focused database work.
He/She should show qualities of taking pride in their work and feeling a sense of ownership for the systems that they support. We have a great work environment here at Frontline and we are looking for someone who will be a complement to our existing Database Management team.
1. Within the first 6 months of hire you will be performing most routine Operational DBA responsibilities which include
- Ensuring all data conforms to our RPO and RTO objectives through tested backup and restoration plans;
- Ensuring the high availability/reliability of our DB environments through proven SQL Server high availability technology (clustering, log shipping, Always On Availability Groups, etc…);
- Ensuring the security of data within the environments by maintaining proper database security policies;
- Monitoring the database environments so that they perform at an optimal level.
- Collaboration with each data team member to share information and learn key skills and processe
- In these first 6 months the incumbent will need to develop an understanding of the many application database environments supported by Frontline and gain an understanding of how to support these databases in a SaaS environment. He/She will have exposure to database environments that support SaaS, multi-tenant and single-tenant databases, OLTP database environments, cloud database technology, reporting database environments, data archiving and warehouse environments.
2. By year-end 2017 the you should feel comfortable supporting the operational needs of our Frontline SQL Server environments and participate in Frontline Database On-Call Rotation. He/She will also…
- Start to play an active role in diagnosing database problems and working with the development team to provide efficient solutions and guidance;
- Begin to work in a proactive manner by identifying opportunities for process improvements and creating automated solutions;
- Assist with Performance and Tuning of Frontline database environments by analyzing database performance using tools and monitors;
3. By mid-2018 the focus should shift to “streamline” the data team procedures and provide robust documentation on applications or processes for which they are the subject matter expert, and actively cross-train other team members on these areas of expertise.
4. Long-Term objectives:
- Work with the technology team to centralize our distributed data environments using consistent and predictable ETL practices;
- Provide suggestions/recommendations for design and code changes to improve application performance and end user experience;
- Tune existing SQL procedures and DB indexes
- Plan, collaborate on, and complete projects within estimated time-frames and with a high degree of ownership
5. On an ongoing basis, mentor and train new SQL Server Database Administrators on our database support procedures.
To operate most effectively in our technical environment, you should have experience with the following:
- Manage/maintain/monitor database systems
- Perform routine audits of systems
- Design and performance tune database systems
- Maintain and report system performance statistics
- Strong grasp of TSQL
- ETL processes
- Safeguarding information in databases against accidental or unauthorized damage, modification or disclosure
- Work in a collaborative technology team environment
- Develop ways to automate routine time consuming operational tasks
- Implement and supporting SQL Server 2012 through 2016; knowledge of backup and recovery strategies
- Understanding of SQL Servers High Availability concepts (clustering, log shipping, AlwaysOn Availability Groups)
- Understanding of SQL Servers database scalability concepts (partitioning, replication, compression)
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills including robust troubleshooting skills with a focus on preventative actions
- Experience with some of the following technologies and concepts is not required but would be a plus: Microsoft Operating systems, Active Directory, SSIS, OLTP, DSS, OLAP, Data Archiving, Data Warehouse, Wait Statistics, Solarwinds DPA, Policy Based Management, PowerShell, MySQL, MongoDB, Linux, Agile Methodologies, AWS, and Chef.
- B.S. in a technical discipline or equivalent experience
- At least 5 years’ experience performing database administration functions and supporting Microsoft SQL Server 2012, 2014 and 2016 in a 24x7 production environment
Meet Some of Frontline Education's Employees
Senior Software Developer, Technical Lead
Chris teams with product owners and leads Frontline Education's developers. He identifies technical solutions for HR and education operations, outlines requirements, and motivates project productivity.
Back to top