Associate Merchant, Beverages
Recipe for Success The Associate Merchant, Beverages, with guidance from Merchants & DMM of Grocery, Frozen & Dairy, will develop and implement product, placement, pricing, and promotional strategies for assigned categories. In addition to identifying and pursuing cost savings opportunities, the position will lead promotional plan development, supply chain optimization, and extension/discontinuation plans for the current assortment among other day-to-day management activities.
- Conduct category reviews and recommend adjustments to existing SKU mix with DMM or Merchant supervision; including extension and discontinuation plan and seasonal price/promotion/assortment changes
- Establish and build relationships through frequent interaction with suppliers; confirm promotions and sales plans; on-going exploration of innovation and line extension opportunities
- With guidance from senior leadership, establish retail price strategy, gross profit, and sales objectives for assigned categories
- Be responsible and accountable for P&L; achieve sales and gross margin budgets for the assigned categories
- Under direction from DMM, develop and maintain benchmarks that will determine success of assigned categories; utilize data to analyze and forecast results, recommending adjustments to improve performance as needed
- Negotiate and maintain competitive costs, including trade and marketing funds, for all suppliers; seek to improve cost positioning through terms negotiation and payment method optimization
- Develop and maintain promotional and marketing plan and objectives for all programs; analyze effectiveness and adjust as needed
- Consult business partners on distribution model optimization to drive costs out of the supply chain (back haul, off-site storage plans etc.); create inventory turn objectives and minimize inventory outages
- Coordinate storefront merchandising efforts across cross-functional teams – marketing, supply chain, and CMS teams.
- Own new item set up process by ensuring data integrity from suppliers and coordinating efforts with storefront, master data, and operations teams
Key ingredients –
- Possess excellent leadership, negotiating, and planning (forecasting) skills
- Financial acumen and analytical skills / Budget-management skills and proficiency / previous P&L experience a plus
- Comfortable juggling and coordinating multiple projects simultaneously
- Must be detail orientated with optimal organizational skills; with a focus on teamwork, project management and follow-up
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to create and track progress, with minimal management oversight, in an ambiguous fast paced environment
- Winning attitude even when faced with internal or external challenges
- Displays commitment to the betterment of the team by developing best practices for Grocery, Frozen, and Dairy processes
- Good problem-solving skills. Can identify barriers and move forward with support from internal partners
- Listens well and communicates effectively. Strong understanding of when and how to escalate issues.
- Bachelor’s degree in related discipline and/or related experience
- Two plus (2+) years merchandising, category management, or buying experience
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Suite
- Knowledge of SAP a plus
WARNING: Our food is processed in a facility that does not contain people who are toxic, rude, disrespectful, arrogant, egotistical, self-promoting, inconsiderate, or mean-spirited.
Who is FreshDirect?
FreshDirect is a food tech company and the Northeast's leading online fresh food grocer, delivering directly to customers throughout seven states, including the New York City and Philadelphia metropolitan areas, and the greater D.C. metropolitan area. FreshDirect is committed to sourcing the freshest and best-tasting meat, fish, produce, and specialty items through direct relationships with suppliers, growers, and farmers. In 2016, FreshDirect expanded its portfolio in NYC with the launch of FoodKick, an on-demand business that caters to the needs of urban dwellers with a curated selection of fresh food, alcohol, and essentials—all delivered within an hour. Launched in 2002, FreshDirect is a privately held company headquartered in Long Island City, NY. For more information, visit www.freshdirect.com or www.foodkick.com.
Why choose FreshDirect?
We are an innovative Food Technology company offering an environment where you can grow a career and feed your future and have fun while doing it! Great people deserve great benefits and we go above and beyond!
Wait, there’s more! Check out our #workperks:
Working here is pretty much as cool as you’d imagine - lots of food, lots of energy, and a whole lot of happy hours.
- Flexible and generous PTO plan
- 20% discount on FreshDirect and FoodKick plus an employee at-cost food program (FD Market)
- Thirsty Thursdays, book club, monthly birthday breakfasts, and other happy hours
- Wellness programs like weekly meditation, yoga, and Zumba, and monthly manicures and massages
- Monthly Lunch & Learns covering things like “The Very Best Cheese and Wine”
- We have a 24-hour shuttle service that runs back and forth to the subway
- We offer up to $5000 per hire as a referral bonus
- Summer barbecues and and annual company picnic for friends and family
Click to explore careers and life @ FreshDirect - https://tinyurl.com/Life-FreshDirect
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the Team member(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of individuals in this position. Position Descriptions may be subject to change as the needs of the organization change.
As an EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER, FreshDirect does not discriminate against applicants or employees because of their race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age religion, creed, marital status, veteran status, domestic violence victim status, familial status, or on any other basis prohibited by law. Furthermore, FreshDirect will not discriminate against any applicant or employee because he or she is disabled, a disabled veteran, or a veteran of the Vietnam era, provided he or she is qualified and meets the requirements established by FreshDirect for the job.
Meet Some of FreshDirect's Employees
Associate Category Merchant
Courtnie uses sales and consumer data insights to bring new FreshDirect products to the company and its consumers, determining details from pricing and placement to promotional strategy.
Back to top