Applications for this position will be reviewed starting on January 4, 2021. We look forward to speaking with you soon!
Dean of Students:
Freire Schools is currently seeking a full-time Dean of Students for the 2021 - 2022 school year. Freire team members are forward-thinking team players passionate about working with and unleashing the potential of our diverse student population. We seek candidates who value diversity, are highly motivated, and who will demand excellence from themselves and their students.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with Heads of School to foster a positive school culture that supports the academic and social-emotional success of each student.
- Maintain safety and order and build relationships with students by being accessible and visible in hallways, classrooms, during arrival/dismissal of students, lunch periods, after school programs including detention, after school clubs, etc.
- Serve as a resource to staff regarding student management issues
- Execute decisions based on reasonable judgment that strives to provide fair and equitable treatment and consideration for all students.
- Openly and regularly communicate with staff and parents/guardians regarding student behavior
- Problem solve with the school social worker to address school wide behaviors with a focus on being more proactive than reactive
- Maintain student databases with climate/discipline information.
- Lead restorative justice efforts for the schools
- Support school climate initiatives after school and on some Saturdays
Successful candidates will have the following attributes:
- At least 3 years of previous successful experience working with diverse student populations, teaching experience preferred
- Positive attitude, sense of humor, and willingness to do "whatever it takes" to get a job done
- Ability to work well individually and as part of a team
- Excellent organizational, verbal, and written communication skills, and the ability to engage students, parents, colleagues, and community members in supporting youth development
About Freire Schools
Freire Schools empowers students to build the future.
Every day, two thousand creative, vibrant kids experience the power of a Freire Schools education at one of our four campuses in Philadelphia and Wilmington. Our schools are joyous, safe spaces where students of all backgrounds are provided the supports they need to succeed in a rigorous educational program. F reire students beat local, state, and national averages year after year in their college enrollment and persistence rates. Our growth mindset and our values--equity, diversity, love, and critical thinking-- are deeply rooted in all we do.
We are passionate, we are real, and we need you to push us even further!
- believe in doing whatever it takes to ensure our students are successful in college and beyond.
- believe that student achievement can be measured in tangible ways.
- believe that self-reflection and growth is essential to improving their craft.
- believe in actively building a positive, enthusiastic, and collaborative school community.
Freire offers a very competitive salary and benefits package, a strong commitment to developing all staff as professionals invested in life-long learning, and the opportunity to work with the best students in the nation.