Applications for this position will be reviewed starting on January 4, 2021. We look forward to speaking with you soon!
Freire Schools is currently seeking a full-time Academic Advisor/College Counselor for the 2021-2022 school year. Freire staff members are innovative collaborators who are passionate about working with and unleashing the potential of urban youth. We seek candidates who are flexible, highly motivated, extraordinarily dedicated, who value diversity and who will demand excellence from themselves and their students.
Job Duties Include:
- Monitor student academic performance, behavior, attendance and connect students to appropriate supports as needed
- Help students process their problems, plan goals and act upon them
- Serve as liaison between parents/students/teachers regarding academics/behavior/attendance
- Maintain student records and run reports
- Communicate with teachers regarding assignments, student concerns
- Work with students to develop study skills and organization skills
- Collaborate with student services department
- Educate parents on academic expectations of their students, how to access student information
- Attend grade team meetings
- Support students through the college application, financial aid, and selection process throughout their senior year
- Positive attitude, sense of humor, and willingness to do whatever it takes to get a job done
- Ability to work well individually and as part of a team
- Ability to act as an advocate and liaison for both teachers and students
- Previous successful experience working with urban youth
- Great communication skills
- Experience with Naviance a plus
- Previous experience in College Counseling a plus
- School Counseling Certification (Required)
About Freire Schools
Since Freire's founding in 1999, the network has achieved excellence for our children through a rigorous college preparatory program and a commitment to peace, within our walls and beyond. Across our four campuses in Philadelphia and Wilmington our teachers now serve over 2,000 students in grades 5 - 12. Freire students beat local, state, and national averages year after year in their college enrollment and persistence rates. Our growth mindset is deeply rooted in all we do. We are safe, we are real, and we need you to push us even further!
- believe in doing whatever it takes to ensure our students are successful in college and beyond.
- believe that student achievement can be measured in tangible ways.
- believe that self-reflection and growth is essential to improving their craft.
- believe in actively building a positive, enthusiastic, and collaborative school community.
Freire offers a very competitive salary and benefits package, a strong commitment to developing all staff as professionals invested in life-long learning, and the opportunity to work with the best students in the nation.